Uv light cured resins ?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by pescaloco, Jun 2, 2009.

1. pescaloco

pescaloco Senior Member

Hey guys,

I have a sales pearson from a company called Admmiralty marine coatings contact me regaring his revolutionary product.

His claim is that they sell a Uv light cured resin system that can be used in the following manner (it may be multiple different products) not sure yet but the premise is the same (instant cure time, with in seconds and no prep for recoating)

applications:
    Varnish woods
    clear coat for gelcoat: "Never to wax or buff again"
    marine construction of fuel tanks
    and others I am sure

I did a web search and can not find anything that looks like (to me) a legit boat yard or organazation that endorses the product.

Any body ever use this stuff or even heard of it.

My primary business is marine detailing and cosmetic repairs, it sounds like snake oil to me but is interesting

thanks

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

Lookup the "Vetus" catalogue, they use a UV hardening resin for replacement tanks.

Regards
    Richard

3. pescaloco

pescaloco Senior Member

Thanks will do,

To saw you can overcoat gelcoat and never have to wax again seems harder to believe than some of the other claims.

Please though if any one has first hand info on the Admmiralty coatings let me know the scoop

4. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

UV curing resins have been available for at least 20 years now. These guys are the premier manufacturer.

Jimbo

5. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Polyester resin cures when subjected to UV.
    I once brought a plastic can half full of ICI polyester resin for a friend, but he was not at home, so I left it on his porch in the morning. The next day he called me and asked why I gave him a solid block of plastic.....

6. pescaloco

pescaloco Senior Member

Thanks guys,

I have heard of Sunrez, but allways thought it was a naturall UV light souce (the Sun) and that cure times were more like a STD. resin in time frames.

Ok so ever heard of an overcoat (that works) to a finished gelcoat surface that would give a surface that required no maintenance other that washing for the life of the boat ?

Since I am in the cosmetics business that is what really stuck me as a bold claim