UV cured prepreg glass?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Splint, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Splint

Splint Junior Member

Hi,

I just stumbled across this product and was curious to know if anyone here has used it and what they think of it. It looks ok but I'm not so sure how suitable it would be in a foam core application. It may be ok as the outer skin in a hull and then infuse the foam core and inner skin afterwards. Any comments?
    http://www.auscomposites.com.au/video_demo.htm

Cheers
    Splint

2. Herman

Herman Senior Member

We have used it in the past (10 years ago or so) but there are indeed drawbacks, including the inability to use any core, varying curing time depending on thickness, and exposure of people to UV light, which invariably happens, unless you setup a highly automated system.

Storage and transport are a problem as well, although easier to solve this.

3. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

We get requests for UV cure products frequently, or at least information on them. I've worked with a couple of companies that have used it in production and I'm working with one that wants to get into now. Many companies look into it, but the logistics of production and cost of both the UV initiator and the curing light setup tend to discourage most people.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.