Using Starboard

Discussion in 'Materials' started by BasicLineChris, Aug 18, 2009.

1. BasicLineChris

BasicLineChris New Member

Can I build a doghouse / engine cover out of Starboard? I am concerned that the engine heat might weaken it and it could break. I'm trying to get away from using any wood to restore the boat. Any help? Thanks.

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Chris,

If your engine bay is hot enough to damage King Starboard, it's also hot enough to seriously damage your engine, wiring, battery and other expensive/important bits. The stuff has a heat deflection temperature under 66 psi loading of 75 degrees Celsius (167 F), and needs more like 120+ C to soften substantially. Your engine room ventilation ought to be good enough to keep the engine compartment much cooler than this, probably no more than ten or fifteen degrees C above ambient.

Gasoline and oil will attack Starboard, and like most plastics, it can be set on fire (about 340 degrees C to do this). Of course, the same can be said about plywood.

Data sheets at http://www.kingstarboard.com/products/StarBoard.aspx

3. BasicLineChris

BasicLineChris New Member

The engine heat wouldn't degrade the Starboard over time? In your opinion, would glassed plywood work better?

4. mark775

mark775 Guest

Yes, better yet contact your local glass shop and get some airex panels, hot glue them in the shape you want, route quarter round corners, saturate 1708BTI with epoxy, lay on, unfold, roll out, repeat. Starboard is for little projects and is too heavy for this application. I have NO place for it on a boat. To me, its attribute is that it works easily - that's it.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I generally agree with most of the comments on StarBoard, but do think that average engine compartment temperatures will distort large panels of this material. Of course thickness and size would make substantial differences.

StarBoard is great to cut up fish on, make instrument panels, use as a self lubricating bearing or rub strip, but has no applications in a structural environment.

It could be used to decorate an engine box, maybe offer a cutting board or corner guards, etc. but not as the enclosure itself.

I wouldn't go to the expense of Airex or other low density panels, when some plywood, a little fabric and paint will get you through and back on the water.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.