Using stainless steel screws in wooden boats

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by metin_mehel, Mar 21, 2014.

1. metin_mehel

metin_mehel mech.eng.

So if ss component completely covered by epoxy, there is not any problem?

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Epoxy doesn't melt, but does deform and goes "plastic" starting at about 150 degrees. At 150 it loses about 50% of it's strength and starts to become soft. At 200 degrees, it's really starting to move under load, which is why the regular formulations don't pass the type 1 WBP test.

Rather then a soldering iron, which I find takes way too long, I use a torch on an extra long screw driver, heating until it's got a dull glow. I push the tip through any goo filling the slots or cross point and let it sit for a few seconds, then apply turning force. It'll release pretty quick with these temperatures.

Again, if the fastener or stainless element is "bonded" (entombed in epoxy), it will not cause trouble. This includes the head, which also must be well covered.

3. alan white

alan white Senior Member

It's a good thing too, since stainless is a lot cheaper than titanium.

4. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

Thanks Michael and PAR for sharing those tips for getting the screws out. I've just been putting a probably too low power soldering iron on the heads. Torch mode ought to work OK too, cheers.

I prefer to use slotted heads as opposed to Pozi's as it seems better for grip when you do want to remove a screw. Also had a lot of poor quality Pozis where the heads strip way to easily - cheap far eastern S/S?. I'll take the longer insertion time with the slots so at least I can get them out. Slot gasket strips are a case in point.

5. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

I prefer squared drive, but anything is better than slotted, even Phillips.

6. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

The Allen head bolts an CSK ones are fine but Philips and Pozi's (screws) have proven real nightmares to remove and still do. I rate removal of slotted ones at least 150% better even if only three years old. Still it has proven investment in S/S Ni tipped drills worthwhile....;)

Now why can you not get the hybrid type - Pozi/slotted in S/S?

7. JSL

JSL Senior Member

From my experience the best common drive head (here in Canada) is the Robertson (square drive) - either the 4 point or the 8 point. A real plus is that if you ever have to use a screw extractor the pilot hole is easy to center.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  8. alan white

alan white Senior Member

The problem with slotted screws is that they are absolutely intolerant of a poorly matched screwdriver. Unlike Philips or torx or square drives, slots are not of any consistently measurable size. At least it sure seems that way after forty plus years of turning them.
    However, a good complete (?) set of 20-30 screwdrivers should usually cover most sizes of slotted heads. The fit should be tight but to full depth. Some could have the tips beveled to allow for the full width of a flat head screw to be filled.
    Unfortunately, modern efficiency constraints favor driver-driven fasteners, and slotted screws don't like to be driven by motors. So they have limited application these days.
    So don't count out slotted screws unless you've fitted the right screwdriver to them.
    You may find they drive pretty well after all.

9. PAR

I have to remove screws frequently, often knowing 50% of them will need to be extracted. I use the hot driver first, to see if the thing will budge, but I also have an extractor with me, knowing I'll have to drill them. Philips can be easily drilled, because of the cross point, while slotted, you have to carefully punch them before you can drill. As a last resort, I have some hollow bits I can use to cut the wood around the fastener. These make a big hole, but remove the fastener and surrounding wood in one shot.

10. metin_mehel

metin_mehel mech.eng.

I love to use screws because the clamps are expensive. However it diminishes the strengrh of wooden components.

11. PAR

You must be using the wrong size screws . . .

12. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

When removing old brass screws (usually with heads worn off!) if I can drill a slot that sometimes works. Otherwise I'll just lever the thing out with fitting and put in new cross grain plugs. Old brass keelbands are a favourite for this treatment;)

It is quite rare to see square head screws this side of the pond, but Allen (hex) and torx are common for bolts. Alan, you are quite correct a good range of drivers is needed for slotted screws but this seems to be more related to the age of the fastener and standards or lack of at time of manufacture. At least with the big ones a square shaft driver and long adjustable tends to shift'em.

13. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Slotted screwdrivers have a slight taper at the tip which causes the tip to back out when turned unless there's a lot of pressure behind the handle.
    You're right that an adjustable wrench helps the screwdriver turn. With a helper, you can hit the screwdriver hard just as pressure is applied to turn.
    A good device (mentally inventing here) would be a five pound buck with a pocket for the screwdriver handle end. You would hold the buck in place tight and rap the adjustable wrench handle quickly to turn the screw before the screwdriver shaft could have time to back the buck's mass out.

14. PAR

They make a hand held impact driver of sorts. You smack it with a hammer and it backs or drives whatever bit (or socket) you have on it. These work pretty good too.

15. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Dont forget, you can convert a phillips or square drive to slotted with a Dremel and a fine cutting wheel.

If you mess up that slot, cut at right angles again, right into the shank if needs be, to get more purchase.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.