Using SB-112

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by mehsjohnson, Nov 29, 2014.

1. mehsjohnson

mehsjohnson I hate grinding!

Has anyone used (West System)<-- see post below System Three epoxy SB-112? One is suppose to be able to apply this resin over cured epoxy and then use polyester resin. The polyester resin is suppose to bond to the SB-112. I found what I believe to be a large area of the interior of the hull I am working on that has been strengthened with epoxy and fiberglass cloth. I would like to be able to use polyester and vinyl-ester resin for my project. I would appreciate any advice you might have on this product. Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

SB-112 is a System Three product, not West System. It's not much different than other, non-blush formulations. You can apply polyester over most formulations of epoxy, knowing it's not going to have the peel strength of epoxy over epoxy. Given the choice, use vinylester over the epoxy, rather than polyester. It's simply a better resin, given the two choices.

3. mehsjohnson

mehsjohnson I hate grinding!

Thank you for the post PAR! Oh yes you are right it is a system three product. My bad! Thank you for the information. I have to order either SB-112 or vinylester resin so I might as well get the vinylester resin. I was going to use that for part of my build anyway.