Attaching Rigging to the Mast

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by brian eiland, Sep 27, 2023.

1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

A number of years ago I was visiting a friends second home in Lunenburg NS. I got to view this vessel that was once owned by Gen Patton.

[​IMG]

I had been thinking of 'new ways' to attach some of the rigging to the mast. I was pleasantly surprised to find this,...
    Another thing I found interesting on this vessel was the method utilized to attach the shrouds and intermediates to the mast column. Instead of poking holes in the mast tube, they wraped the rigging around the mast column and kept that rigging from sliding down the tube by attaching 'cheek blocks' to the mast.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

It harkens back to older days when a lot of square-riggers had their multiple rope/wire shrouds wrapped around their mast columns at their upper locations.

I've made the same suggestion for attaching rigging to modern mast, particularly carbon tubes where I hate to see holes poked in and those odd-ball kinked swaged fittings used.

A few postings I've made on this subject
    Aftmast rigs??? https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/aftmast-rigs.623/page-66

What similar rigging have others seen,...particularly with modern materials ??

2. rangebowdrie

rangebowdrie Senior Member

Well, that style of rigging goes back at least as far as Biblical times.
    I'm quite sure that if the engineers and designers of modern rigs that use all kinds of esoteric materials thought there was any reason to use that style of rigging they would have jumped on it a long time ago.
    It's bulky, heavy, and not very clean in an aerodynamic sense.

3. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

It also prevents a sail attached to the mast from passing the stay attachments

4. brian eiland

....a few references from some older postings on the aftmast subject thread...

5. brian eiland

6. brian eiland

7. Howlandwoodworks

Howlandwoodworks Member

When and If a two masted staysail Schooner designed by John Alden
    I see it was rebuilt by Gannon and Benjamin Marine Railway on Martha’s Vineyard. Barged there in pieces and finished around 1994. In 1990 she broke loose in a gale and was wrecked. There was a huge gaping hole in her port side, broken frames, twisted cabin sole, thoroughly demolished interior, destroyed rudder, smashed keel.
    I ripped this information from When and If - Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_and_If

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.