Kawasaki stx 900 deck question

Discussion in 'Materials' started by obonano, May 19, 2018.

1. obonano

obonano New Member

Good morning new member here with some questions so recently bought a 2000 Kawasaki stx 900 but it had been seating on the exterior for quite some time so I am planning on fixing the deck and repainting it but have been reading and my doubt is if my deck is gelcoated or smc plus what recommendations would you give to fix since the biggest issue is under the floor rubber mat area it has a lot of spider cracks I can see the fiberglass but the fiberglass looks solid from the inside out, what recommendations would you give thanks

Attached Files:

2. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

Welcome,

As you suspect the yellow is shot kaput, regardless of wether it is gelcoat or paint.

If this came into my shop, I would;
    1 remove stickers, graphics, non-skid, neoprene ect with hot air scrapers
    2. Coarse sand (36-60 grit) all alligatored yellow trying to retain original fairness
    3 wash and rince well
    4 check for structural cracks
    5 repair with epoxy and csm
    6 epoxy fairing compound
    7 block sand with 80 then 120 grit
    8 primer sanding priming until satisfied with surface quality
    9. Paint with catalyzed urethane
    10 cach significant check. Possibly for more than sky is worth.

The alligator crazing will soon telegraph return if not completely removed.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, that's gel coat and it's all shot from the looks of it. The amount of labor to fix this, so it doesn't return is daunting, but if your labor is free, maybe a choice you can live with. Materials will not be all that much, though some experience with 'glass work will greatly help and speed up your efforts. These PWC are generally not built to a very high standard and essentially are considered disposable, once they get to this state. You can save quite a bit of effort and materials simply by buying another, in better condition and swapping out the parts that are usable from the one you now have.

Frankly, unless that one currently still runs and is serviceable, you'd be best advised to try again with something else. If it does still run, I'd just clean it up good, take a buffer to the areas that may benefit from it and enjoy your well used, if a little worn PWC.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.