Using my boat as a trailer

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rasorinc, Feb 10, 2015.

1. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Does anyone have further thoughts regarding my idea of letting the boat be it's own trailer? If not, then thank you all very much for your comments and suggestions and I will consider this subject is done with. Stan

2. myark

myark Senior Member

I will use a rod and hook to lift them out of the water.

Its a pity you are not building in aluminium as all that it needs to be done is run a box extrusion cross ways under the floor and then plug a set of 750 kg torsions that do not weigh much and easily float off or on, and like you say hook them out off the water.
    You have a flat bottom boat and its well suited.

3. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member

Converting an already built boat to also be a trailer I don't think is a very practical Idea and especially putting wheels back at the transom as this would put way too much strain on the boat and too much weight on the tongue and hitch for the tow vehicle. The wheels would need to be just slightly back of center of the boat and you would have to have a removable tongue. If the boat was designed for this form the start when it was built like some of Myarks creations then it would be much more feasible. I would not recommend it unless you were going to build the boat from scratch and design it accordingly.

4. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

myark, how would you mount a spring or shock absorber to handle bumps in the road?
    Thank you.

5. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Dave T I only have some frames built at this time.

6. myark

myark Senior Member

This an example of a 4.8 X 2.4 Myark with a very simple but strong self trailer barge.
    Not only it can float a car to allow amphibious travel but it can also act as a car trailer which I have towed with the car pictured on top of the trailer the road and had no problems what so ever towing it.
    These type of barges I designed came in sizes up to 12.m which I made to suit marine farmers who did not want a car trailer to double handle their load, or a trailer for the boat.
    They would drop the loading ramp down and work of the end, one farmer had no legs and sat on end of boat ramp and slid in water.
    They towed it straight out water and into the packaging shed which the 12. trailer barge saved a lot of time and energy and most of all money.

Attached Files:

7. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

8. myark

myark Senior Member

I was going to suggest that to you but it would need some modification's such as larger rubber cords so you can have a longer arm reach to the axle for the wheels so can be above water when rotate.
    Its an engineering feat but it can be done,
    The system to allow the rotation's I have studied that some years ago and one day will make one.
    If you only need 750kg torsions they are not that heavy to lift, also they float out as the tyres will give the floatation exactly the height you need to slide the torsion in and out of the box section also should be able to lean over side to do this and as you say hook them out and better still place in boot of car to make your boat light in water

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The torsion bars I am used to have metal bars that twist to absorb the shock. How are rubber cords attached? Do you have photos or links to the manufacturer?

10. myark

myark Senior Member

Its past midnight in Thailand so crashing, but mean time have a quick look at how the torsions work in this link, I will get back later
    http://www.transtyletrailers.com.au/general-info/

Attached Files:

11. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

I think what I need is a torsion axle with single knock off wheels like the old race cars had.
    You could lift the wheel (say 13" ) AND PUT IT IN THE BOAT or in the tow car. Need a tool to release the spinner.

12. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Spinners are released with a deadblow hammer.

13. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

Gonzo google alko torsion suspension . That is the one other people have ripped off to copy in china.

14. myark

myark Senior Member

That's a good idea as had something like that in mind as well but not common on market and not sure of price.
    You will notice my arm that holds the axles come of as the idea was for larger torsions that are heavy I would take the arm of the torsions bar as well as make the torsions stay in the hull structure permanently, I also have a design for rotor mold that have the rubbers frozen and placed in to the rotor mold box structures of the pontoon which would work extremely well.

Attached Files:

15. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The knock-off wheels are fitted to a hub that can go in any spindle. It has splines and a center nut.