A product/technique to seal a leak

Discussion in 'Materials' started by perry2222, Aug 10, 2022.

1. perry2222

perry2222 Junior Member

A previous owner put a wooden plate on the (fibreglass) daggerboard case that has the lowering gear on it.(please, dont ask I cant tell you why). I've beached it 3 times, pulled to bits and used various sealants, but still I cant get it to stop leaking. The problem is I can't get the boat out of the water and cant do more than between tides, so I am looking for suggestions as to what to use to seal this bugger. Considering an epoxy hot mix but the real problem here is drying it all out sufficiently.

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

I think you probably nailed it there.
    Is there absolutely no way / nowhere you can get the boat lifted out of the water?
    There must be various marinas / haul out yards in Sydney that can lift a boat?
    How big is your boat?
    Can you post a photo of her please, and perhaps a photo or 2 of the leaking daggerboard case?

Re beaching her, would it be feasible to beach her on the top of a spring high tide, and then she might be 'high and dry' for a while, rather than just between tides?
    If so, would this be long enough to allow her to dry out sufficiently?

3. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Most epoxies are useless on wet substrates.

4. perry2222

perry2222 Junior Member

yeah most epoxies are not so good with damp. So looking for an alternative. There isn't much to see its a wooden plate about 30 x30. My last attempt was with Sika 242 construction sealant, the best I could get there. but I know its less than wonderful in damp circumstances.
    In Sydney it would be possible to lift a 10m cat, in the Azores, however, where the boat is, not so much. I can get a crane to do it for about 300 Euro, but its having a place to do it!
    I may be able to whangle a spot at Angra for a few days, the word 'leak' often gets people motivated. But this isn't till I go back in March. They can do it there but are engaged in building a cruise boat facility in what is a pretty small port and tiny marina, so space is at a premium.
    The hole behind the plate is around maybe just above waterline so if the boat isn't being sailed the leak is pretty benign.
    My boat is in Praia Marina and I only just found out that they have limited the amt of winter hard stand this year, as some local complained that they couldnt park their car. In the winter there are no cars.
    Till then I have someone going down to empty the bilge once a week or so. Another kind and generous fellow sailor. He reckons he's got some seriously good mastic. I can only hope. I had to leave as my Schengen time was UP and I had some family duties here in Sydney. Bit of a *******. Unhappy I am.

bajansailor likes this.
  5. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

You will need more than a quick fix.
    Haul out soon!

It is better to seal from the outside than from the interior.

Redland was an epoxy specifically formulated to cure on wet surfaces.

Polyurethane glues will also adhere to wet surfaces.

I've used toilet wax to temporarily stop water ingress

All of this is just a band-aid and not a cure. They will also make more work when addressing the problem properly

bajansailor likes this.
  6. perry2222

perry2222 Junior Member

thanks blueknarr. Ah what is toilet wax?? Cant haul to soon unfortunately. I shall look into Redland.

7. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

Miss spelled
    Redland not Redland
    The wax between the toilet and the sewer pipe. Avaliable at hardware stores. It is very soft and squishy. Softer than clay

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.