12' tri-hull/jon boat conversion to micro skiff

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by biasedmind, Jun 21, 2018.

1. biasedmind

biasedmind Junior Member

2. biasedmind

biasedmind Junior Member

I was given a 1972 PFG 12' Car Topper with a trailer. The transom was rotten and I knew that when I accepted the project. Along with the boat and trailer I received a new in the box minn kota all water 50lb 12v trolling motor and a long tail mud motor. I live on the Gulf coast and want to use the boat to fish the marsh and shallow bays.

My plan is to repair the transom and add a front cap so I can mount the trolling motor. So, I started looking at different micro skiffs and decided to open the tops of the 3 bench seats to remove the deteriorating flotation foam, plus remove a few rats nests. My original plan was frame some storage compartments along with flotation pods in the seats with ply and poly to control cost, but have since learned poly will not waterproof wood. I've decided I'm over engineering this skiff and trying to create something that will out live me with little maintenance.

Now the plan is to do the transom and front cap (for trolling motor mount) in ply and epoxy resin. But I'm going back and forth on the best way to divide the seat compartments for storage and flotation pods while framing support for the seat top. To conserve cost I've been debating finishing the seats with sealed wood. I'm okay if the wood requires some annual maintenance plus the boat can be stored in the garage.

Any recommendations on sealing the wood and top coat? Or would I be better off covering with cloth and epoxy resin? I'm trying not to turn this free boat into a $500 fiberglass project. Trying to keep the glass work down to $300.

3. PROPGUNONE

PROPGUNONE Junior Member

I’d highly recommend epoxy, but only from past experience building wooden/glass skiffs. The ply takes it well. Always used RAKA personally, medium viscosity but if I did it again I’d use thin. The medium gets kind of gooey in any sort of cooler weather. Easy mix ratio too, don’t need pumps or anything, just some plastic cups and a sharpie and do the 2:1 thing. I’d pull all the seats if it was me, glass in fore and aft decks... maybe a floor to mount a cooler to. What’s under the floor in that thing... could be more wet foam.

4. biasedmind

biasedmind Junior Member

You're looking at the floor. Its a single layer made on a mold. Only wood in the boat was the transom, top rail, and I think there is a strip in the keel.

5. biasedmind

biasedmind Junior Member

I assumed the seats were structural and probably needed to support the sides. If they can come out know you have my mind spinning with flat deck possibilities.

6. biasedmind

biasedmind Junior Member

7. PROPGUNONE

PROPGUNONE Junior Member

I see what you’re saying... humps on the floor looked like there was something beneath it. Seats are probably structural, but if you pull them and square the hull up there should’nt be a problem with a flat deck and bulkheads.

8. biasedmind

biasedmind Junior Member

Does anyone else agree I could remove the 3 seat, put a bulk head in the bow and stern and maintain structural strength? She's 12' bow to stern with a beam of 48".

9. PROPGUNONE

PROPGUNONE Junior Member

Have you put this up over on microskiff? Lots of similar projects going on there.

10. biasedmind

biasedmind Junior Member

I had not, I've been reading and fiberglass work and watching videos since I got the boat. This was the first group where I felt the advice was aimed at being helpful and not trolling some who knew less than yourself. Until you asked I don't think I'd searched the term microskiff to look for a dedicated forum.

Still wouldn't mind hearing from the boat builders here.

11. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

Three rows of seats is a lot of sidewall support. I like your open concept plan. I would add a stiffening gunal. If you want more post cataclysm floatation, glue cheep foam to flore and cover directly with carpet skipping glaswork completely. Easily exchangeable when starts to deteriorates

12. seaway84

seaway84 New Member

i have the same hull and removed the rear and middle seat. i built off the front seat and made a top (not so much a casting platform) but for storage. seems to be holding up well! i was shooting for a $300 project as well i wanna say my total was about $1200 including the motor i picked up for $400

Attached Files:

13. Clancy

Clancy New Member

Hi guys, I would love to know the make of this boat. I have a mold for it in Aus. If anyone knows that would be great. 3E011085-4044-4D3D-822D-5B8CF2F0F3E7.jpeg

14. Dusty Blackburn

Dusty Blackburn New Member

I know this is really old but looks like an old MFG. There were quite a few boats with the same shape, even the original Scout was very similar.