1. brokensheer

brokensheer Senior Member

Here in the USA i am looking for some 4-5 lb density and some 8lb density foam, many of the supplier plain don't have it, or its crazy expensive, can anyone point me in the direction of good stock and pricing

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Having something in stock, in an economically weak climate is asking for a lot, especially if it's a product you don't move a much of.

What type of foam are you looking for, pourable, sheet, closed cell, material choice, etc.? Try www.FGCI.com

3. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

look at styrofoam byoyancy billets, solid non water absorbsion, float 55 lbs. per cubic foot.. Compatable with epoxy. I have had them under a floating dock for 35 years W/O any damage except muscat rat bites. I have a supplier who will cut them to any size for you and they are inexpensive. They must be protected from the sun. I use them in all boats I build. They never absorb water. Stan They have fcilities all over the US with home in msryland.

4. brokensheer

I am looking for sheet foam. 1 " and 1 1/2" in 4x sheets

5. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Sheet foam as in extruded closed-cell polystyrene (Styrofoam)? That stuff is fairly easy to find if you forget the marine market and look at industrial building supply outlets that target the construction industry. House insulation Styrofoam and dock float Styrofoam are essentially identical.

Or are you looking for the flexible closed-cell sheet foam used for lifejackets and floating cushions? Or maybe a flexible insulation foam such as Armaflex?

Knowing the application would be pretty helpful....

6. mikereed100

mikereed100 Junior Member

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Again what kind of foam are you looking for Brokensheer? Do you know what kind of foam you're looking for? If not describe what you're using it for and we'll attempt to guess . . .

8. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

This sort of foam is widely available at roofing supply places at commercial roofing prices. Sometimes returned stuff with slight damage or overstocked stuff is available dirt cheap.

http://www.elliottfoam.com/features.html

9. brokensheer

I am loking for something like corecel, divinicel, I need a 4x8 sheet of atleat 8lb density 1 1/2 thick, and 4x8 material of at least 4lb density at 1" thick it will be used for stringers , bulkheads and walking flats,, sorry for the delay in info PAR

10. anchorman

anchorman New Member

I am a new member to the site and need some knowledge on this same subject. I have a 17' aluminum jon boat I am about to floor and am adding xps foam sheathing for flotation. I've been all over the net and am getting an education on closed cell vs. open cell insulation ! WOW ! It's enough to make your head spin ! The ribs in the boat are 1 5/8" high , boat width 48"s, space between ribs 10 1/2" s. If I go to Lowe's or Home depot what should I look for. I see stuff called polystyrene at lowes. Haven't been Home depot yet.
    I fish the jetties alot at Georgetown, SC. Very dangerous . I need flotation.
    You guys look like you know exactly what you're talking about.
    Your input would be greatly appreciated.

11. yipster

yipster designer

floating, insulation and sandwich foam can be all styrofoam? i was looking at newer high density package materials wondering if they come in sheets and can be used for stich and glue

12. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Brokensheer,
    Corecell, Divinycell, Airex, etc. all tend to be rather on the pricey side. You get what you pay for. Finding a place that will sell you such a small quantity at a good price might be difficult, it's not at all uncommon to be quoted well north of a hundred bucks a sheet.

anchorman,
    XPS stands for eXtruded PolyStyrene, the exact same stuff that is sold as blue or pink polystyrene insulation board at the hardware store. Not to be confused with EPS (Expanded PolyStyrene), ie. packaging foam. Both types are sometimes called by the brand name Styrofoam. XPS makes great flotation and insulation, but should not be used as a core foam (it cracks apart easily under shear stress). EPS has no place on a boat, as the granules tend to disintegrate after a year or three and clog up limber holes and bilge pumps. Both can trap water in undesirable locations, leading to corrosion and mildew.

13. yipster

yipster designer

have 2 component low and high density polyurethane foams that do that too
    Divinycell is great but expensive, will check on xps, thanks

14. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

I used to believe that the nominally 1.5 and 2.0 lb/cu ft density EPS(actually 1.25 and 1.75 lbs cu ft respectively) were the only grades of EPS in existence, and yes they are totally worthless as structural material and they barely hold together.

But a custom packaging manufacturer was kind enough to send me a large box of molded samples of EPS in densities all the way to 15 lbs/cu ft! That stuff was plenty strong and durable, and if someone bothered to make it in sheets, I'm sure it would find its way into many composite projects.

But nobody does prob'ly cause it would cost about the same as PVC foam to manufacture, but I'm not sure of that. After all, it is used as disposable packaging.

Jimbo

15. yipster

yipster designer

thats what i meant Jimbo
    have some samples saved laying around, no poly but epoxy glued that seem to be workable and stay good
    btw 2.0 lb/cu ft density EPS translates to XPS vol weight 45 kg/m3 whith a short pressure time of 700 kPa to long term 250 kPa i belive
    still checking