Using epoxy and fasteners for frames - question

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by WarrenW, Feb 5, 2007.

1. WarrenW

WarrenW Junior Member

I have been reading the epoxy information for Poxy Grip which I have for building my frames. As I have read in the forums, it also states not to clamp the parts tight - just tight enough to imobilize them.

My question is if I use fasteners on the frames also, won't they pull the gussets to the frames so tight it squeezes the epoxy out? Or are people just glueing the gussets on with clamps and then adding fasteners after its dry as extra holding?

Just wanted to make sure I do it right since I'm ready to start assembling my frames. I bought Poxy Grip for the frames but plan to buy Poxy Shield as well for coating parts, etc.

Warren

2. JR-Shine

JR-Shine SHINE

No tight clamping with epoxy. In general we do not use any mechanical fasteners, but if we do they are put in after the part is set in epoxy. Sometimes I use dry wall screws to hold something while the epoxy sets, when I do I screw it tight, then back off so that the epoxy glue is not pushed out. Remove the screws when the epoxy has partially cured.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Ditto, epoxy needs a little slop to work. I use drywall screws too, but set the drill's clutch to the lowest setting, so the head just makes contact, before the clutch engages. Bring the gussets in contact with your frame pieces, until you see goo oozing out from each seam, that's all you need as far as clamping pressure.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.