Gybing boards revisited

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by AbbottJ1984, Jun 2, 2014.

1. AbbottJ1984

AbbottJ1984 New Member

Hi Guys

I know this is an old thread topic but I'm doing some research into gybing boards, I've read all the threads discussing gybing boards and understand the concept and it's limitations. I've read some websites regarding gybing boards referring to Bethwaite but have been unable to find reference to them in his book. Does anyone know if and where he refers to them?

Regards
    James

2. Doug Halsey

Doug Halsey Senior Member

In section 19.6 The drag of surface piercing foils in wake. At the very end, he says,
    "(b) Don't run your rudder blade in the wake of the centreboard, i.e. think twice before you use a gybing centreboard."

This is on page 243 of the edition I have. I'm not sure how many editions of the book were published, but mine looks like it must be the 1st one (1993). So far, I haven't found any more references to gybing boards.

3. AbbottJ1984

AbbottJ1984 New Member

Thanks heaps Doug,
    I was reading every section that seemed logically linked but didn't think to read that section

Regards
    James

4. tdem

tdem Senior Member

Kind of related is the part about two boat testing a centreboard with a flap. He says that it didn't seem to help, but in the end also concluded that a more logical test would have been to make the board with flap slightly smaller.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.