Using compressed air on boats

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by nick storm, Oct 17, 2006.

1. hansp77

hansp77

I am not up to the science or engineering involved,
    but compressed air cars and transport are being taken very seriously within the ecological modernization and sustainable development discourses.
    While there may be an argument regarding performance compared to combustion engines, the technology offers the potential for (near to) zero-emission transport.
    Of course one has to look at the source of power for compressing the air in the first place (alonside emissions involved in the manufacturing and transport of the engine/car/boat, etc), however these processes could in theory (and practice in most developed countries) be powered by green or renuable energy sources.
    Initially air-engines may or may not be economically viable alternatives for individuals (depending on situation)
    however, if anything along the lines of the 'polluter pays' principle or carbon tax comes on line (which in some form or another seems both inevitable and rational), then the technology appears to offer some serious potential.
    The beauty of this technology is that it is stored energy. That means that peak usage times can be covered by a lower slower constant baseload of power.

if you can suspend your disbelief...
    imagine the 'petrol station'- a fresh smelling place (along with the roads and tunnels), most probably roofed entirely in solar panels, possible connected to some form of windpower, trickle charging battery banks that power electric air compressors into systems of underground tanks, also connected to a green electricity power grid for emergency back up (and to make maximum use of storing cheaper off-peak electricity).
    Imagine out to sea, along select appropriate trade routes (with the best wind, sun and wave conditions), similar versions, like oil rigs, powered by massive wind turbines, solar and wave/tidal sources, where tankers and cargo ships (assisted by kite/sail) can refuel (Oil rigs themselves could possibly generate power/compressed air by utilizing the natural gas that they burn off).
    Sail-and power-boats incorporating air tanks as ballast within the design (possibly to be assisted with water ballast to acount for an emptying tank?).

May seem a bit dreamy, but with the right market incentives, compressed air engines could be a very big and very cool thing.

One not-so-nice foreseable side effect of compressed air cars that I have read about is when they crash into each other (as they inevitably will). While design precautions can be taken for most foreseable situations or uses, it might be a bit hard to design a tank strong enough for for two hoons to have a head on collision at over 150kmh (hopefully not in a crowded place:eek: ).
    Maybe we'll all be driving slower, and all be happy, and peace will reign under a glorious sunset of flying pigs...
    Maybe I should scrap that last sentence.

2. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Before I get into figures and calculations I like to look at common sense and gut feeling first.

By the way Mike thanks for the regulations on compressed air, but my boat's only 6 metres and it won't make the trip to Denmark to get the "Danish Maritime Authority" certification.

A lot of talk is about how efficient the car is running on compressed air. But, what about, as I mentioned in a previous post, the expense of compressing the air in the first place? It is like doing the internal combusting of an internal combustion engine putting it into a car and saying, "WOW," that's efficient.

I get scuba tanks filled, you have two problems,
    1. The amount of power to compress 30 bars of air.
    2. The time it takes, and when you get your tank filled from a compressor even a small scuba tank takes quite a bit of time. I know of one re-filler who had invested in large storage tanks which filled the tamks fast, he went bloke.
    3. Compressing air creates heat so after the compressing you have to have a coolers and filters.

Think about this rationally, if all the cars lined up at the bowsers were filling up with compressed air, imagine the size of compressors they would need and the banks of storage.

Not to mention, which I will the maintenance costs of servicing the compressors.

Sorry but I can't see it.

And a boat that uses compressed air, and the air is replenished by an electric motor? If we are talking about an air driven boat where is the electricity coming from? A generator driven by an air motor. Are we talking perpetual motion here.

At least at my age I'll be dead before they prove me wrong.

3. hansp77

hansp77

a bit long, but if you are interested,
    from a 2004 (publicly available) academic paper,
    http://web.fu-berlin.de/ffu/akumwelt/bc2003/proceedings/373 - 385 wells.pdf
    Peter Wells and Dr. Renato J. Orsato The Ecological Modernisation
    of the Automotive Industry
    page: 379-80

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.