Usefulness of Fein Multimaster or similar tool?

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by gt05254, Nov 30, 2012.

1. gt05254

gt05254 Junior Member

Just wondering if anyone has found this tool, the Fein MultiMaster or similar tools made by others, to be of real value in wooden boat repair/restoration. I have the Rangeley project I posted about to get me through the winter, and a Multimaster or similar is about the only power tool I don't own. Seems like it might have some value in the shop; just wondering about others' experiences.
    Thanks,
    Gary

2. OFFSHORE GINGER

OFFSHORE GINGER Junior Member

Gary . i started using a Fein almost two decades a go when they were very pricey , and to tell you the truth this tool is top notch , which in my opinion is a must have for any shop , or tool box considering , i use it ...almost ..on a daily basis ..when not using air tools .

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

If you have one ,you will find a use for it every day. Nice tool. Expensive.

4. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

It's the best. Now (again) there's an alternative for pricey Fein blades. Bosch made an adaptor for using their blades on a newer model Feins.

5. michael pierzga

I also see that there are alternatives to the expensive Fien Multimaster tool...half the cost. Might be worth asking around to see if these cheaper competors are worthwhile.

6. gt05254

gt05254 Junior Member

Ah, suspicions confirmed! I think it might come in handy in my day job, doing old house renovations and restorations, too.
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts.
    Gary

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Fein let the patent ran out and then a lot of people made them . They were originally used for cutting plaster of human limbs . The osciliation of the blade did not cut flesh --I tried it.

Its a tool I bought for a job. I thought Ide never use it again but I do.

8. michael pierzga

At the local big box store I see a chinese multimaster for 39.99 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. gt05254

gt05254 Junior Member

Well, I did a little online research and have decided to buy the Bosch multitool. HD has it for sale online-only for about 126 bucks (30 bucks off). I really like Bosch tools, use several on a daily basis, so that made the choice easier. Hope it comes in handy on my Rangeley boat project!
    Gary

10. goodwilltoall

goodwilltoall Senior Member

Have used the bosch often, but only when other electric tools cant reach into work areas, they actually cut pretty poorly compared to jigsaws or reciporcating saws. The bosch is very reliable after several hundred hours of use. Fien had the patent and was the only oscillating tool available, other manufactures have been slowly starting to produce them, but bosch is the closest to the fien. Fien has better quality blades available and the true measure of power-amps, fien is around 3.0 or 3.3 versus 2.3 for the bosch.

11. martinworswick

martinworswick Junior Member

a diy magazine over did a test of 5 or 6 various brands the bosch 250 came out tops,closely followed by makita,the rest were just also rans.

12. gt05254

gt05254 Junior Member

Here's hoping it holds up to its ratings! Funny, I've wanted one for my old home renovation/restoration business for awhile. Took a boat to get me to part with the bucks, lol!
    Gary

13. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Note that the cheaper models of Bosch are not for serious work (believe me I know) The top models are great as Makita and Fein but they have no price advantage either...

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

The bosch will be a battery driven . I didnt want a batteyr driven, nothing worse that stopping a job because of flat battery.

I now find I cant get replacement blades and have you seen the price of them !!!!

I have worked out how I can make some.

15. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

...I saw the Bosch at Bunnings here today for $149...made in Hungary if I remember right. 240VAC.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.