resin stick to resin.

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Frosty, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I have a non slip tread pattern on the fibreglass roof of my cat. Inside the bridge this is the floor and it is where sheets of glass approx 10 inch by 2 feet have been laid on to hold the bridge on. After 10 years appears to be relatively easy to slide a scraper under the glassing and it parts.

I need to re glass but how much preparation is required on the non slip tread pattern. It would be a hell of a messy job to grind back to flat.

Would a scrub with acetone and a wire brush be sufficient.

Should I use epoxy or resin again.

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Not the point Hoyt. It will come away easy its how to prepare the old surface to take new glass and resin. the nonslip patter is like 1 mm deep

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Sorry I misunderstood your meaning. Definitely use epoxy resin. I would only grind out loose areas and scuff sound areas. Build up the divots to a level state.

5. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Grind away the gelcoat before doing any glueing. Gelcoat is not a good material to have in your bondline.

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Use a fiber wheel on an angle grinder or drill. Use the ones with man made fibers instead of metal.

7. brett.sanderson

brett.sanderson boat builder

One way to do this is cast a nice big section of non slip. Use your own deck or a friends. wax a section bigger then your need, cast a strong mold with polyester and C S maybe some scrap wood . Take it off then cast a nice bigger product (polyester) then you need. trim to size , fit with lots of Sikaflex after preparing the old surface with abrasive and acetone. Prime and paint the new non slip when in place( after masking) it will bury all the old **** and Sika is powerfull stuff, or Simpsons.

Brett

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

A kind of wire brush made from fibres?

Actually I might have seen them. So basically your saying a good scuffing up without grinding the non slip flat.

9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

PAR --I found a polywheel. its a 4 inch wheel and looks like birds nest dipped in epoxy. its not a brush,--is that what you mean 3 dollar.

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

11. PAR

They look like a wire wheel, except the wires are man made (plastic) and appear to be on steroids.

12. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Right gotcha thanks. Ive seen those ---some where.

What about epoxy or resin again.

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Should I use resin again or epoxy.

15. PAR

Epoxy is resin, but I know what you mean. You make the choice. You know what I'm going to say and you know what Tunnels is going to say. I can recite strength and bonding advantages and he'll talk about cost and stuff. Personally, I've found all the cost stuff is less then most folks think, as you can use less if it's epoxy, for the same weight and stiffness in polyester, but it's still your call. I also think you'll have less bonding issues with epoxy, but you could make it work with polyester too. The real key will be how clean you can get the areas that you'll be trying to get this under.