used motor oil as fuel

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Boston, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Hi ya I've been eying the 300D for a long time but damn are they heavy. Not sure how much better mileage I'd get out of it. One of the VW diesels I think is the way to go. I'd build a custom tank for it. Maybe 50 gallons and then only fill it for long trips.

Not sure how well a kubota or yanmar engine would marry up to it. But I'm not a fan of anything but factory built engines, so even if I found one with a shot engine I'd still consider it, depends on how that research turns out.

2. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

There are a lot of differences in 300D, 300SD, 300SDL types...

( 300D = E-Class, S = S-Class, D = Diesel, L = long wheelbase version )

See for some examples the info on W124 E-Class and W126 S-Class both with 3L 300D engines in 5 and 6 cyl. with and without turbo and in defferent stages of diesel engineering development, depending on their year and the chassis-designation they got build in to. And then there are the bigger and smaller 4, 5, 6 cyl. 200D to 350D in many stages of diesel engeneering development.

The ones I linked on Craigslist are all 1986-1987 W126 300SDL 3 L, 6 cyl, turbocharged, camshafts and injection pump driven by duplex chain, valves operated by hydraulic bucket tappets, automatic valve clearance adjustment, pre-chamber injection, Bosch M in-line injection pump which is lubricated by a connection to the engine oil circulation, mechanical governor and vacuum-operated stop control, thermostat controlled fuel preheating by a coolant-fuel heat exchanger, etc...

A 300SDL W126 is almost as heavy as the late 80's F-250, but has a much better fuel efficiency due to the smaller more efficient turbo engine and better aerodynamics. The W124 is much lighter, although still not very light . . . . ;)

Cheers,
    Angel

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  3. Boston

Boston Previous Member

well my next project is the pyrolysis thing I've been wanting to build for so long. At the conference yesterday it really sparked some interest and I found someone to buy the carbon black, which was the last item I needed to find a home for.

Costs about as much as one of those cars to build it so I'd better stay focused or I'll never get it built. One project at a time.

4. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Those old 300D, if working in good condition, make about 40mpg, my F250 almost 20 mpg if I drive it. Biggest problem with 300d is that they are expensive at around $4000 for cars with 300k+ miles that look like it.

5. Boston

Boston Previous Member

yup and the air conditioners never work. So you tend to swim in a pool of your own juices all summer.

Also some of the parts are extremely expensive

I'll give a more serious look at the VWs and see what shakes loose. But first my pyrolysis project.

6. Angélique

Some good smaller Merc's are the W201 190D 2.2L 4 cyl non turbo and the 190D 2.5L 5 cyl with or without turbo.

Craigslist: 190D 2.2 and 190D 2.5

Btw, the 2.2L 4 cyl is in Europe 2.0L

Cheers,
    Angel

P.S. - Extended post #47 a bit.

7. Boston

Boston Previous Member

shipping from Honolulu might be a tad expensive ;-) I suppose theres one is stockton. But I'm trying to focus on finishing the truck, now that I've got a little work going on. And then building the pyrolysis system, for which I need a large circular kiln. So if in your travels you manage to spot one close to Denver. I'm hoping to spend $300 or less on it.

Cheers
    B

8. Angélique

In Denver only some parts poped up . . . .
    SW might be close to you . . . . ? ? - Maybe that guy knows more . . . . ? ?

Cheers,
    Angel

9. Boston

Boston Previous Member

ya I'm just not in a position where I can have three projects going at once though. I've got about enough cash flow to get the truck done maybe by the end of the month if I'm lucky. After that I'll need a few K to start the pyrolysis project. Rebuilding an old Mercedes is going to take some cash I don't have at the moment.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.