Used Boat/Motor Question

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by stangfl, Feb 22, 2008.

1. stangfl

stangfl New Member

I am currently looking at purchasing a used boat from a dealership, a PRO-LINE 23/Ft w/ Twin 130hp Yamaha outboards (original motors). I am a little skeptical about the age of engines, and have been doing research into the average life expectancy of marine motors (1500 hrs approx before overhaul). I also know its all about care and maintenance just to what extent will it matter after 15 years.

Also the hours are unknown as it has no meter. The rest of the boat is in great condition, all original. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

2. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Just a few suggestions. Age doesn't matter as much as use and maintenance. If your reference to 15 years means the motors are 1993's, there are lots of outboards built in the 1970's and 80's still running well. You might be able to get some info from Yamaha with the motor SNs; this might yield some information about any major problems, although it's not a guarantee. Ultimately, I suggest you find a well qualified service tech not related to the dealership and invest in a full inspection. That will give you the information you need to make a decision.

3. euro scott

euro scott Junior Member

if ran in salt, even flushed it wont last that long.. the only real test is a compression check and a leakdown.. the early yamis were not good on corrosion internally

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.