duo-prop shaft design

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by fisherman, May 29, 2004.

1. fisherman

fisherman Junior Member

I have a general design for duo-props for shaft driven boats, the design is 7/8 complete. I need the engineering/technical assistance to finish up the design. So if anyone has the time and skill to assist me in my design,maybe we can do business together?

2. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

3. yipster

yipster designer

fisherman, as you see i had the same general design idea for duo-prop shafts (after finding out they dont exist). i'd say 90% is in the engineering/technical assistance to finish up the design. i've been looking at bladesettings in counter rotating turbines, but guess its much easyer going for standard CR props, those -far as i know- are again high speed. CR propshafts is good idea i belive i've only seen on big ships. time and skill cant be all that big a problem but i havent got the funds and could not get the industry (vetus r&d) warm for it. keep me/us updated please, couse yes i might want one!

4. fisherman

fisherman Junior Member

reply to yipster

yipster,ever since I posted a thread asking for assistance in my project, I have come up with over (10)ten different designs for counter-rotating propellers for single,solid,one-piece propeller shafts.I have been coresponding with a gentleman that owns a marine engineering firm and have sent him a copy of all of my designs that relate to the CR propeller subject and a few other designs that relate to the marine industry that total to be about (21)twenty-one different designs,(not including the CR prop. designs).The gentleman that I am dealing with is a very nice person and is willing to look over anything that I can design without even charging me consultation fees for it.He asked me if I need investors,help with marketing my designs,engineering&testing of my designs,etc..I am really happy that there is people out there that gives the "beginning designer" a chance to show his ideas and trys to help out where he can.(and he did not even charge me a penny!)He has a few marine related Patents under his belt already. And he asked me about Petenting my designs also.So if you are really trying to become a designer like me, I would be more than happy to give you his name and all of the information needed for you to be able to contact him so that you can set up an agreement to show him your designs that you came up with and for him to review them and give you a reply about what he thinks about them.He asked me to strike-up a "non-disclosure agreement document" so that he could see my designs,but I did not because he seems to be a very honest person.By asking for that document,it shows me that he is not a "PIRATE", trying to pirate my designs for himself.So,once again, if you want his info. so that you can contact him, keep in touch. fisherman signing off..

5. yipster

yipster designer

fisherman,
    thanks for the reply, sounds like you found an ohnest agent, lets hope he can do something. patents are also expensive and (told to me by the dutch patent bureau) not even allways necesairy, a claim for application is good for a year they said. let me in on the "over (10)ten different designs for counter-rotating propellers for single,solid,one-piece propeller shafts" i like to see that. sure i like to send some ideas to your contact for evaluation. i've been thinking of making that shaft but point is sometimes funding or machinery and having the concept worked 100% out, the determination...

i know how agengies set up to help inventors work, in my live i've spend a few thousend here and there on them. for a extra oxigen inhaling carburator i got: "why dont you plant a tree instead of creating a bigger polution" and for the idea of making new european electric illuminating stickers as licence plates: "hard to dril holes in for mounting" and lol: "in big city's aluminum plates are bended a lot by youngsters, they cant do that on your idea and will find other means" those answers i paid for, seriously! thats as bad as it can go, some of the gouvernements i wrote 10 years back were more enthousiast i must say and i got the full draft report here of a euro comision in bruxelles that studies a common plate. recomandation one is readability and internally illuminating 3M stickers, yes that stuff also allready lives a decade does read better than a sign with a overhanging spot on it.

instead we here in holland had to buy new plates with a euro sticker on it (was forbidden at first) and a new unreadable sjabloon brush letter type. maybe its time i pick that one up again, or some euro car manifacturer will one of these day's.

than again, i belive its no so much who invented the wheel as who made it for all of us to enjoy. not a good religion for a designer i know.

6. fisherman

fisherman Junior Member

Reply to yipster

Yipster,do you have an e-mail address that I can contact you at so that we can talk in private?

7. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Commercialization of Innovative, Propeller Driven, Recreational Marine Drive Designs

hello fisherman,
    I might suggest that you have a look at a website that I reference in the "power propulsion' section of my website:

www.virtualpet.com, Research Tools & Papers, "U.S. Commercialization of Innovative, Propeller Driven, Recreational Marine Drive Designs".

It deals with the bigger problem of selling the idea once it's deleloped. Don't mean to discourage any innovation....just be aware of the problems. And remember the marine market as a whole is not all that big. We just have to love what we're doing in it. :cool:

cheers

8. yipster

yipster designer

[​IMG]
    hello fisherman,
    we exchanged adres and some thoughts in private. i must have been rambling mentioning the idea for salted egg sausage, big slices and only 2 buds ;-D as we read in Brian Eilands exelent links above our idea needs R&D and big industry interest. allthough not a new idea its still not made for a CR shaft on recreational boats i belive. on his site Brian also has a very interesting technical story on a hungarian gentleman and the bevelled gears system. the invention of the stern drive and more. i am still reading, good stuff!

thanks again Brian

yipster

9. yipster

yipster designer

thought he was hungarian also but no...
    great thinker but did not made money, now he is on it :cool: (if that isnt euro today?)

nicolas tesla on yougoslavian banknote

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.