URGENT!--welding machine settings

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by Kiev Fernandes, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Kiev Fernandes

Kiev Fernandes Junior Member

My company is recently gone into aluminium boatbuilding and have recently purchased Panasonic MIG model yd-400... welding machines. I need help with the machine settings can ne one help me.....

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You need to train your welders first. They should understand how to set the equipment and adjust it to varying conditions. Send them to school.

3. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Gonzo, Kiev - something wrong with this picture !
    Welding Alu is not something you just sit and do, if your 'welders' doesn't know how to weld Alu they better go for a course !
    I really hope they're not going to start welding Alu boats.

A capable welder will know how to set a mig welder... !

Welding Alu properly is an art. The guy who taught me is probably he best welder in SA... and I still cannot decently weld alu.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

That's exactly my point. There isn't a static setting.

6. welder/fitter

welder/fitter Senior Member

Kiev,
    Contact the manufacturer & ask for technical support. They can connect you with someone who is familiar with it. I haven't used the unit, though I've seen a similar robot system. Your tech support can answer anything not covered by your manual. Are you using a tri-mix?

7. Kiev Fernandes

The problem is there isnt a school to train these guys in this state maybe elsewhere i dont know but we may be getting an expert to train these guys lets see wat happens. most of these guys have worked with MIG machines for MS work.

its 100% Argon

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  8. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

But is it AC?? I know there are some DC welding machines claimed to do ally but never seen/told how well, and reckon they are just for occasional use.. ?

9. Johnnylee

Johnnylee New Member

Great info here, thanks guys

10. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

If you DC weld Alu it surface harden and you cannot weld there again as well as it will crack and break there. The AC makes the power flow back and forth and you control the hardness with the frequency balance. There really is a big difference between Tig amd Mig. Mig is very easy and fast.

If you could get someone to come over and play with your guys and their new welders it may help some. Alu weld is difficult, you do something wrong or you get poor results and you do not always realise what you do wrong. Someone to look over your shoulder and tell you watch this do that helps a lot.

What amazes me is the alu goes everywhere when I weld. My welder friend seems he doesn't even have to do anything, the stuff just comes together automatic evenly and fluently...

11. tazmann

tazmann Senior Member

Not much info on the YD-400, Is it for robotic or can it be used as regular mig? Is it pulse or pulse on pulse for aluminum? What thickness and grade aluminum you welding? What wire diameter and grade? It all makes a huge difference on any settings.

MIG/GMAW aluminum DC+ 100% argon

TIG/GTAW aluminum AC 100% argon with a few different mixes allso, can allso be done with DC+ with argon and I think heilium mix.
    Tom

12. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

This is my welder's handbook. I have no idea what your machine looks like, but maybe something in here can help you. There is a 'first try at Alu weld' you could look at.

I can't upload the figgin file :( I'll keep trying but the attachment window say I'm not connected. You can see obviously I am.

Finally...

Attached Files:

13. Kiev Fernandes

The machine is a DC with base negative 100% argon. we havent used the pulse option but has an option we were trying for sometime butt welding at various settings but in vain. I got some settings frm a book boatbuilding with al and it worked stable arc spray welding no spatter clean weld. but while filet welding it made a hole in the plate so lets see tom wat new probs we have to face....

14. Kiev Fernandes

yeah thanks fanie i got it.

15. tazmann

tazmann Senior Member

Hey Kiev
    Sounds like you have a good start with it, Just keep playin with it. If youre blowing holes, eather run a lot faster travel speed or turn it down a smidge or both.
    Here is a pdf guide might help
    Tom

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.