Writing on a Forum

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by Frosty, Feb 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

m not a fibre glass expert nor do I build but man give me some spanners. Im not a fast writer either just a self tought 2 finger typer.

I also have pspelting problesm too, it takes me a long time to type.

Is it not disappointing to find that after labouriously typing out a post to get up next day and some idiot has called some one else a fool and the work you put in is frozen.

Makes you less enthusiastic wouldnt you say.

THIS THREAD HAS BECOME VITRIOLIC AND WEILL BE CLOSES IN 24 HOURS.

Im not expecting apologies but the above may induce a bit of time for grown men to repair and get back on track. It might be successful and so much better than immediate decapitation by Judge jury and executioner.

2. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Oh, I dunno. If a hammer-and-tongs thread hasn't toned down after 24 hours, it probably isn't going to.

I'm actually surprised by how much leeway we get here sometimes. A couple of times after making a post, I've gone back a couple of days later after cooling down, reread what I wrote with a little embarrassment, and thought, "amazing. I didn't get my !@#$ slapped in the dirt for writing something that rude?":eek:

1 person likes this.
  3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The occasional apology makes a great difference.

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Yes troy thats true and my point exactly. Many should take a lief from your book.

Are you suggesting temporary closure.

I have this morning been encouraged to write about my experiences by the Mod but would it be frozen by some ones juvenile posts. You cant tell, I don't think Ille bother

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

By juvenile, do you mean anyone under fifty?

6. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

It really depends on whether the discussion is still productive sharing useful information about boat design or boatbuilding or boats in general.

In the "MAS - not worth it" thread that you objected to being closed for example, I don't believe you actually posted a single on-topic post regarding mix, temperature, conditions, or infusion Frosty.

Rarely, but sometimes, when a thread has run its course and no more productive discussion is taking place on the original subject the way it's framed, it's best to let a new topic take its place. Sometimes a new topic can be focused in a more productive way to avoid the previous deadlock.

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I think that closing threads is more often good than bad. Other forums degenerate into mud slinging contests when fighting threads go on forever and take over.

8. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

seems the thread is writing on a forum can someone tell what [11rc] means. i see it all the time and have got no idea what it means.

9. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

If I recall correctly ?

10. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

IIRC = "If I Recall Correctly..." or "If I Remember Correctly..."

11. RonL

RonL Junior Member

Hi Frosty,:)
    The internet has a way of hiding a feeling of someone, the words chosen in many cases in ones mind are perfect, but then someone in another part of the world ( maybe even a neighbor) will see a complete different meaning.:(
    I'm not a crackpot (I don't think):confused: or some villages idiot,:eek: but many times I go back to what I wrote and would commit my own self to those labels.:rolleyes::p:confused::) I never would be mean or degrading intentionally to anyone in the entire world, but so many times you just can't quite tell what the real meaning of someones post is.:confused::D

I think everyone adds a special flavor to the soup of the internet. I have always enjoyed you and your internet flavor. We all have a unique flare in our personalities.
    People who know me in person, I think all would say I'm a swell guy, my kids and grand kids, do warn their friends about bringing up certain topics, mainly all that energy stuff.:D

RonL

12. Gian Milan

Gian Milan Previous Member

3d if you want to close, you have the right to do so.
    You have no right, in my opinion, to do so as the closure of the 3d of thief gentle.

13. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I do believe smilies can help with the tone. :D

14. Gian Milan

Gian Milan Previous Member

I need some information that I, not find on the FAQ.
    How do I close with the forum?

15. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

thanks mr e and leo, pretty obvious now you have spelt it out.

< upload video question | Attachment displayed automatically >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.