unusual need for high pitch prop on Honda BF 2.3

Discussion in 'Props' started by fusioneng, Apr 13, 2014.

1. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

No, I totally get it after your explanation, but it is rife with variables.

First and foremost is the hull, but let's keep in planing.

Second is wind. It is never constant.

Third is fatigue.

The prop is not the issue.

The prop is a standard and optimized, not for potentials, but typicals.

What you need is to prop for typical and then you need the motor to run differently for variables.

So you need a smart motor.

But you can obviously reprop if you typically are pedalling or typically under sail. I would take the prop to a prop shop with your variables and get the current prop tweaked.

If you increase the pitch, keep in mind the motor will not achieve higher rpms and mighy bog if you pitch it too high and keep in mind you would have reduced hole shot. This can be offset by cupping. Cupping is a negative when under sail only because it adds drag.

All actions will void motor warranty.

I, personally, would probably start with a small pitch increase and test. Prop shop can probably bend it in.

If you want better hole shot from the prop; you reduce pitch, but this is where you are unloading under auxilary power addition. The ideal prop would increase its pitch as motor rpms dropped.

Again, what you really need is a smarter motor that can adjust to all the variables because the prop is too fixed for all the other variables.

Look up autoprop or variable pitch prop.

Not gonna be available for the Honda 2 likely.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.