Building a pontoon in PA. How title & register?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Jho0101, Mar 27, 2022.

1. Jho0101

Jho0101 New Member

What the easiest way to title and register my “homebuilt” sterndrive pontoon boat? Im in Pennsylvania.

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Welcome to the Forum JH.
    I do not know the answer, but I am sure that there are folk on here who will be able to help you.
    Possibly @Ike ?

In the meantime, could you post some more details about your pontoon boat, and some photos when the Forum gives you permission to do so?
    (I think that new members have to post a number of comments before they are allowed to post photos).

3. willy13

willy13 Junior Member

Boat Registration & Titling FAQs https://www.fishandboat.com/LearningCenter/FAQs/Pages/BoatRegistrationTitling.aspx
    "
    17. Can I register my homemade boat?
    HOMEMADE BOATS MAY NOT BE SOLD OR OFFERED FOR SALE IN THIS COMMONWEALTH

The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC) will only accept applications from the original builder for their personal use for homemade boats that have been constructed from blue prints, kits or parts of various boats by a generally recognized manufacturer. Building a boat from blue prints may require a marine survey and stability test by a certified marine surveyor. Customers may contact PFBC prior to construction for additional details.

The regulations are specifically outlined regarding the definition of a specially constructed boat which is one of the following:

(i) A boat not originally constructed by a generally recognized manufacturer of boats under a distinctive name and not materially altered from its original construction, but assembled from parts of various boats or kits or both, and that would be commonly known as a “homemade” boat.

(ii) A boat that has been materially altered by the removal, addition or substitution of essential parts derived from various other makes and models and that the Commission determines cannot be readily identified as a boat of a generally recognized make or model."

Some lawyer speak, so not sure, but it sounds like it might be a pain in the *** to get an official H.I.N. if you also designed it yourself.
    Good Luck!

4. fredrosse

fredrosse USACE Steam

I designed and built the Margaret S (Steamboat) in 2010. Penna. registration was no problem as a powered homebuilt boat. The rules at that time required I provide details so the state could verify capacities, I sent in the required details, but the state declined verifying anything and just issued a HIN. (Hull Identification Number).

Back in 2010 I had to register this boat as a powerboat, but looking at the Penna. rules now, maybe I need no registration at all?

PA website:
    "Boats that must be registered:
    • Any boat powered by a gasoline, diesel or electric motor.
    • Vessels documented by the U.S. Coast Guard for recreational purposes. Documented vessels are large pleasure boats, such as yachts.
    • Boats such as sailboats that use gasoline, diesel or electric motors for auxiliary power."

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.