Unsinkable boats realy?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by tom kane, Oct 12, 2014.

1. myark

myark Senior Member

Going to great barrier island 60 miles out to sea in a Myark MK1 proto type folding trailer barge was scary.
    My dog that can not be seen because its on the other side of car was shaking in fear when swells became so large we could not sea land at the bottom of the swells.
    In the end we became ship wrecked at blinds bay.

Attached Files:

2. myark

myark Senior Member

This picture is coming back from Great Barrier island on my MK 3 folding trailer barge, you can just sea little barrier island in front to the right to see how far out at sea I was.
    The rope was my life line and rode it like a horse as the seas become more rough and a storm was brewing, at night it became pitch black and winds picked up, just made it back to mainland at 1am
    Lucky the clouds broke about 11pm and the moon started to raise so I can see the in the mainland I aimed for.
    It was winter and cold and were the barge bolted together the water was leaking into the hulls from the crashing waves and filled half way.

Attached Files:

3. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Hi myark, I wonder what poor Flash was thinking..probably the same as I would have thought.

4. myark

myark Senior Member

Sadly Flash had just died of Cancer not long before I went to Great Barrier island on the MK 3 Myark folding trailer barge.
    On the MK 1 Myark, Flash trembled with fear as his instincts must of felt death was close because if the winds came up a touch more while crossing the Colville channel we where sunk.

Attached Files:

5. myark

myark Senior Member

That picture was taken just after I left John Da Silvers bush bloke at great barrier island,
    He invited me to his paradise and stayed the night experiencing living amongst young prisoners on the end of the jail term where John taught them how to be men.
    The 30 odd prisoners lined up and did the Hakka as I left for a sign of respect.
    John tried to talk me out of leaving because a storm was forecast, but I had things to do and left.
    At first he thought I had drowned because of the late arrival on the mainland

John held both Auckland Heavyweight Title in Boxing and New Zealand Heavyweight Wrestling at the same time in 1955.
    The earliest Da Silva's were born on Great Barrier Island, off the Coromandel Penninsula and became champion axemen, competing throughout New Zealand and Australia in the 1920's.

Attached Files:

6. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

My one friends has a jestski, it is self righting and basically cannot sink. By law he is required to have a bailing bucket "aboard" (or is it aseat ?). He bought one of these small tin ornamental buckets that is sold beside the road by the eh eh eh philamons (it's about cup size), and they passed his rig. Without a bailing bucket, no chance.

7. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Fanie I think I was lucky doing my boating in the good old days when you could be a free agent and I do not think it was any more dangerous when we we were left alone to do our thing than what many people are encouraged to do in extreme sport and such like. But if you are a professional stunt man or sport Hero now you seem to be exempt from being called an ..... .

Myark, I just loved that Flash and I often play that video from the Uraweras just to see the diving part. It is a relaxing show for me and I wish I were there.

8. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Tom, a bunch of us here were doing a lot of things before the vultures descended on us with their laws and exploitation. Getting "inspected" by someone with an IQ of 57 who has no idea what it is you are going to do (and you have to explain too) is a bit frustrating. Most just pass the R10 and go ahead. Sick business.

9. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Unsinkable boats realy

I have learned a lot of opinions from this thread and assume that there is no such thing as an unsinkable boat.
    I recently made a complaint to our Advertising Standards Authority ( because that is what I do) and I was told that I was taking what the advertisers were saying literaly so they said I had no grounds for my complaint! So you are not allowed to believe what they say in their advertising.

Now if you want to be adventerous try cutting down some trees in your back yard.

Attached Files:

10. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

There are sometimes good reasons why these laws get pushed on us, sometimes we have ****** amongst us to blame, not the authorities. As an example just within the last few days we have had a doctor in NYC who just returned from taking care of ebola patients in Guinea and rather than self quarantining himself he just goes out in public, then he comes down with ebola, so guess what, now both New York and New Jersey have implemented mandatory quarantine. My point is its people who do stupid things like this that force the powers that be to implement laws we may not like.

11. Ike

Ike Senior Member

"Never Underestimate the power of human stupidity" R. A. Heinlein

12. myark

myark Senior Member

I have always had a dog for a companion since 4 years old, when flash died when I become 40 years old, decided to have a wife instead of another dog and travel.
    I told her I will treat our future children like dogs and kept my word, we give our two sons the utmost love and teach them to love all living things and are born vegetarian’s.
    We do not send our sons to school for some stranger to brainwash rules, instead let be them self’s with no such thing as “cannot” as long as you do not harm anybody including the environment.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  13. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Yeah the good old days when there were 1/10 the number of boats and boaters, and 1300 -1400 people died every year because they fell out or capsized, or their boat sank out from under them, and no one carried lifejackets let alone wore them. When boats blew up on a regular basis because people used all kinds of crap for fuel lines and put automotive starters and generators on their engines, and thought the engine ran better without that pesky flame arrester.

Yeah those were the good old days. When the biggest outboards were 50 hp and were harder than hell to start, and spent more time with the hood off than on. They were so loud the people 10 miles away at the other end of the lake said , hey Pete's going fishing this morning. When boats were cold and drafty and your wife did not want to go anywhere near the damn thing (some guys would consider that a good thing). yep even 2 HP engines weighed 50-60 lbs and your had to start them with a rope that you had to wind onto the top of the engine every time and the damn ropes were always breaking. When sails were made of egyptian cotton and sagged and tore and you were constantly sewing them back together (I still have my sailor's palm)

Yep. There weren't any pesky rules like getting a fishing license or registering your boat, or having flotation. No dacron or polyester lines, just hemp and sisal that burn't the palms of your hands. Your anchor was a coffe can full of concrete and if you wanted a fishing net well you just stole your son' basket ball net and sewed up the lower end of it.

Yep, the good old days. Damn I'm glad they're gone

14. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Ike, if you go back long enough then you can also mention that dinosaurs ate many people before they could sink their boats.

Instead of appointing malicious gangs with power who's only objective is to victimize other for personal gain. rather educate those wishing to participate in something.

Not everything is better that the good old days. If it was as bad as you say then there's a whole bunch of us who were very lucky back then. Not that we could possibly be as old as you are :D

Besides, the NWO wants to dramatically reduce the world population. Why have any safety at all... ?

15. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

Hi, bro Fanie.

Submitted in light hearted fun, no disrespect meant to anyone.

PC

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.