unroll help please rhino

Discussion in 'Software' started by lazeyjack, Mar 1, 2008.

1. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

when I unroll this in Rhino
    1 I can not see the unrolled in window
    2- it says 100%smaller in unroll, it also gives area of 60 million sq/m even though the scale is right in my dwgs, the l of this plate is about 6 m
    thanks Stu

Attached Files:

2. CGN

CGN Senior Member

check the units that may be causing the problem

3. terhohalme

terhohalme BEng Boat Technology

Read Help topics! Start the command and pres F1. You can unroll only developable surfaces.

For future, use X axis for length, y axis for width and z for height.

Millimeters in units are OK.

4. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

You will need to change that nice round bilge to hard chine. I find the most accurate unrolled surfaces in Rhino are made from a straight line swept along two curves. If the surface can not be made this way, you won’t get a good unrolled surface.
    Gary

5. CGN

CGN Senior Member

Duluthboats
    There are two features in Rhino for developing plates, 1 is for developed surfaces which is integral in rhino and then there is the new feature that develops double curvature surfaces, this is the one i mentioned i don't think they are supporting much, maybe steve can let us know more about what are they doing with it.

Lazeyjack

If you are not using the right command then you won't be able to roll your surface and is basically crashing because can't find a solution for double curvature plate or surface.

Ok i found it this is the name of the command and the link

http://en.wiki.mcneel.com/default.aspx/McNeel/AdvancedFlattening.html

Shipconstructor is able to do that but they "pull the plug" for some reason to the plug in that they use to sell for Rhino.

6. duluthboats

Thanks CGN,
    I can't seem to keep up these days. I will have to give Squish try.
    Gary

7. duluthboats

Lazyjack,
    Squish seems to work fine on a nice clean Rhino surfaces. I could not get it to work on your surface. I tried to rebuild it but failed. You would have to reconstruct it in Rhino and rebuild it to the minimum number of points needed to define the surface. Then Squish will flatten the surface. Cool!!! ;-)
    Gary

8. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

thanks you guys, my head is spinnin' but then again that does not take too much rhese days
    that surface was made autoship,
    i took it into maxsurf workshop and it did unroll it, but as two surfaces and for the life of me I could not see a way to join them
    I found that sometimes workshop opens things and sometimes not Comes up with random stuff like" cant open as was created with later vs workshop," which is not the case

9. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

The problem is that it is 68 surfaces joined. You probably need to explode the surface and then try rebuilding.....

I just did this and unrolled-developable surface on the lower hull here's the file.

Usually best to unroll different parts rather than all at once, otherwise the double curvature will tend to give poor results.

cheers

Attached Files:

10. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

lo there Mike
    thanks, I can not open cos I have rhino 2, , :))
    I built 4 of those, once, the long way, as I said I managed to open and unroll in workshop, workshop seems unstable as far as opening files goes, same type, sometimes will sometimes wont
    In this Pic I am somewhAt younger, but as tired!!!later I got rid of the last stringer and went 4 girdars with those deep floors, that way I could offer 10 years hull warranty, they are all 15 yrs old now, no probs and used hard offshore in NZ
    Stu

Attached Files:

11. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Re-tired .... just tired again. Afternoon naps are good :)

I re-saved that file as a Rhino 2.

For all the ease of Workshops features it can be a pain at times, which version of workshop?

cheers

added
    Looks fit and able....the boat too! I like the floors.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  12. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Is the Squish comand only for Rhino 4?
    I've been having trouble unrolling an irregularly shaped (but otherwise flat) surface in Rhino 3.
    Any suggestions would be most welcome:D
    I'll try to post the surface later tonight.....

13. duluthboats

It is a beta tool for the latest Rhino4 version. I can try it for you and show you the results. I'm at work now. I will have to try in the AM. Or maybe someone else will try it.
    Gary

14. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Thanks Gary
    I've attached the offending surface (well, polysurface, actually).
    It's currently made up of two surfaces. I tried exploding, unrolling, then re-joing, but that didn't work.
    Essentially, the longest side is parallel with the sheer and has slight curvature, but when unrolled this is shown as completely straight. Also, two edges down near the bottom that are parallel when unrolled become unparallel.
    This panel is already flat.... it's got me bluffed....

Attached Files:

15. duluthboats

I had some trouble with it also. I rebuilt the surface so I may have changed something. When I used the squish tool it distorted .03% so the new surface should be very close to the one I rebuilt. When I used the unroll tool things got crazy. The red surface is UNROLL and black is SQUISH. Big difference:eek: I hope I got the attachment right.
    Gary :D

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.