Russian Hydro-Foils for filling in commute bottle-necks?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Squidly-Diddly, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

How about someone writing up some contingency contracts to get a bunch of those cool Buck Rodgers style Russian Hydro-Foils lined up to alleviate various commuter bottle-necks here in the San Francisco Bay or elsewhere?

Not only do we have a BART(that is our little train that goes under the bay and elsewhere) strike looming, but all the bridges are questionable and we got earthquakes.

What sort of logistics would be involved?

We have some ferry service but it is pretty lame and limited, and slow.

They have "ocean going" hydro-foils so I figure they could show up reasonably quickly under their own power.

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Them and fast cats would also be very useful. Often harbour speed limits make fast water transport useless unfortunately.

Had a fast cat taking commuters to the CBD in Melbourne at one time - but it had to put them off 45 minutes away from the offices, as the speed limits up the river was only five knots - even buses move faster.

3. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Russian hydrofoils litter the world, the vast majority being well past their service date, lefting rotting in every abandoned dock worldwide.

4. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Fast speed rivercraft worked in the USSR so well because of the river system and long distances.

Hovercraft immune to submerged logs and able to operate on ice were even more useful in that climate.

With short distances speed may add cost. You need a long route where the speed saves real time and money on gas (if non-turbine powered).

Blog snippet:
    http://stephenrees.wordpress.com/20...-makes-bid-to-revive-toronto-rochester-ferry/

Real article:
    http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityn...t-service-between-u-s-and-toronto-stay-afloat

5. yipster

yipster designer

where? okay, they occasionaly crash but i think they are cool :D

6. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Thessaloniki and Buenos Aires immediately spring to mind. If I have to actually think I´ll come up with a few more places.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.