Unknown 1968 glastron??!

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by justwannafish!, Nov 21, 2008.

1. justwannafish!

justwannafish! Junior Member

Hiya. New here, lotsa questions... First, a friend and I just bought a 1968 glastron but we can't find any info on it at all. We've checked the net (alot of the sites i got from this site), and there's no photos or info on the model we have. It's 1968 model 140-G, 15 foot. with a Mercury 700 outboard. We have a serial number on the outboard but no luck. Have photos in camera but no cable right now. Will post pictures as soon as I can. I know it's a vague question with no pics but I was hoping someone might be able to help in some small way. We aim to fix this sucker up and make it purty again. It's going to be used on the Hudson river (where we grew up) for fishing and fun! But mostly fishing...big stripers over here... Will find cable for pics and thank you much!
    -wannafish.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I'm not sure what model specific information may be helpful to you. You're boat is pre required HIN's on the transom era, so the state would have issued a HIN if it's been registered after 1974. As for fixing it up, it has no intrinsic value as a 40 year old Glastron, so you can do anything you want.

I'd get the "systems" working right; electrical, plumbing, steering, engine controls, USCG requirements (lights, horn, etc.), then spruce her up with paint, some new seating and the like. You don't need a 1968 brochure to show you how it should look. Make it how you want it (within reason).

I'm not exactly sure of the site (classic plastic?) maybe someone can chime in, but it has lots of information about these pre HIN boats, with Glastron very likely included.

3. justwannafish!

Structural integrity is first on the list then systems. We don't really care how long it takes us to get her looking good again (or how much cash outlay...), we just wanna get her running, again, no worries about cash. We look at this as an adventure and an investment over the years to come. We already ripped out the floor and floatation. What a mess, whew! We left the stringers for spring then we're taking those out too. This site has been very informative to us- all sorts of good info abound. Although we've only known about it for a couple days, it's great. We were merely curious as to the background of our new boat, and were wondering why we couldn't find anything specific on it. But we'll keep looking! Thanks ya'll!
    --wannafish

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I think what you have is the Glastron that was in the James bond movie. They used the G 14 an open bow with a split window and this model had the record for the longest dry jump,ie out of the water jump. Im not sure on the movie.

The engine is a common engine of that time a 3 cylinder Merc 70HP or 49KW if I remember correctly.

5. justwannafish!

Hey Frosty! The boat Bond used in his movie is not quite our boat. Bond's does indeed have the split window, however, if I could find the wretched cable for the camera- I could show you the windshield we have is solid but for a small opening in the middle of the plexi at the bottom, in the shape of a small rectangle that pivots outwards to allow for air (extra air i guess). I should have mentioned that windshield design that we have, we can't find on other boats of this make. Good "eye" dude! We call it Bond's boat while trying to describe it to people! Batman had one too- gotta love it. Thanks for the input bro!
    --wannafish

6. justwannafish!

Oh, and the engine is actually a six cylinder! The thing is gigantic. I'm five-five and the damn thing goes from the top of my head to my ankles. 2-stroke as well. We're pretty sure its a 70 or 75 hp. Last we heard, from the last guy to have it on the water and running, it ran great except for a timing problem. And that was about 4 years ago. This guy is a mechanic and his dad owned the boat before him, he's confidant with a little love we can get the engine running again no problem. I believe it, they built 'em solid back in the day. We have faith the suckers gonna run--gotta think positive.
    --wannafish

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yes, they were built pretty thick back then, but there are other, very common issues you should be aware of first. These are transom rot and a soft sole.

To check the transom, look around the engine mount area, particularly the bolts. Any deformation, puckering, obvious leaking, etc. and it should be suspect and the engine yanked off for further investigation. Having it rip a big hole in your transom (I've seen this happen) the first time you slam the throttle full on, is embarrassing, not to mention expensive and hard on the engine.

Walk around inside the boat and feel for soft spots under foot. The usual locations are near seats, under tables pedestals, around fish wells, etc. If this is the case the sole needs to be replaced.

It's not uncommon for a boat that age to need both the transom and sole replaced. It's a very common issue and many previous threads on this site have handled these questions before if you need additional information.

8. Ike

Ike Senior Member

9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

The smallest upright 6 was a 90HP

10. justwannafish!

whew! finally back!

Hey everybody! Nice to be back...I finally have photos in the computer but I don't know how to put them in the posts'. Things have been crazy and I had no access to the computer...but i figured out how to put the photos in the computer when i had a minute but have no idea how to put them in posts. I tried attachments but couldnt figure it out. help? please? thanks!!!!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.