Glue

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by fourboat, Nov 7, 2011.

1. fourboat

fourboat New Member

I am getting ready to build another tiller handle out of thin strips of pine. In the past I used Titebond III glue. Any suggestions as to a better, longer lasting glue? I like the one part glue but do not mind going with a two part glue as long as it will be an upgrade. Thanks all.......

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Epoxy would be a good choice.

3. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

I second that, epoxy is terrific. It does require thorough mixing however and meticulous proportioning (measuring). It also requires UV protection as it has very little on it's own.

-Tom

4. fourboat

fourboat New Member

Since I am going to be building a tiller handle with strips exposed to the sun. Do y'all think i should try for something that has some UV resistance? And i
    has anyone heard of such a product? Thanks all........

5. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Just paint it for UV resistance?

6. fourboat

fourboat New Member

well I have made a few tillers in the past and folks liked that they could see the individual strips of wood. I have even taken to putting a piece of treated wood as the center strip and then alternating lighter and darker colored pieces of pine as you move away from the center. One I built using titebond went about three years before some slight delamination at the end but it MAY have been from the owner who routinely knicked and badly scratched and I think compromised the polyurethane.......

7. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.