Unfolding & Importing from SW to TC

Discussion in 'Software' started by erinh, Apr 4, 2007.

1. erinh

erinh New Member

Hello-
    I'm trying to import a solidworks part file into touchcad, and am having trouble. Is there a correct way to do this? I now that the import options are limited in touchcad, and I may be out of luck.

Also, I am wondering if it is possible to import a 3D model from Solidworks into Rhino. If so, is it possible when using rhino to unfold/flatte a 3D model into 2D panels?

I have read through the forums and could not find these answers, so thanks for the help.

-Erin

2. ludesign

ludesign Senior Member

Send the file to info@touchcad.com

3. CGN

CGN Senior Member

erinh send your file to ludesign he will figure it out, and should be the best way to go for you, and about solidworks, just save the solidworks file as an iges or step, i don't recall being able to save from solidworks as a .3dm (maybe now is possible) but should work just fine and yes you can unfold or develop a surface from solidworks once in rhino (if the surface is developable). if not they do have a new plug in that can help you.

cheers

4. Steve Baer

Steve Baer Rhino Developer

Hi Erin,
    You should be able to open a solidworks file directly in Rhino. Rhino has tools for flattening surfaces, but not unfolding. If you are looking for flattening tools in Rhino, look up UnrollSrf and Smash in the Rhino help along with the new Squish tool available on the Rhino Labs page:
    http://en.wiki.mcneel.com/default.aspx/McNeel/AdvancedFlattening.html

Thanks,
    -Steve

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.