UNESCO joins Energy Observer, the first hydrogen ship

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by schakel, Feb 23, 2017.

1. schakel

schakel environmental project Msc

You forget the ammount of photo electric volt-cells (solar panels) they have on the roof.
    They deliver the ammout of energy for the production of Hydrogen.
    energy observer schema.jpg

[​IMG]
    And it's not subsidiced by government but sponsored by Accor Hotels, Thelem assurances, and Delangy transport company (main sponsors) and many others.

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

No. I didn't forget the the PV Panels. What I SAID was "they are trying to generate Hydrogen from prop spin (see attached info) when underway, from that unimpressive little Kite."
    To explain it to you in detail- the amount of Hydrogen they will create from the sail option is so SMALL , that that the expense and bother of the little Kite is ridiculous. The inefficiency of the process is staggering.
    I cant comment on the panel and turbine sources, but I do know how little the kite will produce, making it a ridiculous exercise.

If they wanted to be serious about utilizing wind power, they could at least have adopted their historical predecessor Alcyones "turbine towers" - oh, but that might have shadowed the PV panels ....

"And it's not subsidiced by government"
    What I SAID was "must be getting a big tax break or govt subsidy".
    Do you have access to the General Ledgers of "Accor Hotels, Thelem assurances, and Delangy" ??
    I BET you its a big Tax write-off, so it IS subsidized by Government and Taxpayers.

Solar1.png

3. schakel

I suppose most sponsoring is done with Tax write of. Formula 1 racing cars and VOR are sponsored as well. Is sponsoring (which is stimulised by government) really a big disadvantage for the tax payer? I Don't know, makes alot of things possible. I still have in the back of my head this is a research project.
    Have you seen the budget of another reseach project that's dwarfs the budget of Energy Obsever? Try the Iter project. (20 Bln.) ITER - Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITER

And I agree that the percentage of energy by prop spin or their little kite supplied to produce hydrogen is small.
    Main source is PV cells.

About the Alcones turbine towers: Now that's true. But it provides a lot of resistance as well.
    Like most design it's a matter of pro's and contra's.
    [​IMG]

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

"another research project that's dwarfs the budget of Energy Obsever? Try the Iter project."

Hmmm, I dont think thats a good comparison. ITER is the cutting edge of a Physics technology that would create a complete new paradigm for the whole of Civilisation.

My opinion is that they should have done a lot more serious job of integrating wind assistance into the design. The current "turbines" and kite are just token "add-ons", instead of taking advantage of the opportunity to incorporate one of the most obvious components of "green " marine technology.

5. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

What is really the difference between all this expense and a sailboat in a long run?

6. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I suppose that the on-water generation of Hydrogen for storage, using Solar Power would be a good set of skills to develop.

To generate Hydrogen from Wind Power is not nearly as important, as wind can contribute to propulsion much more efficiently directly.

7. schakel

According to this recent article of the New York Times the dream of clean energy comes at a very high price.
    A Dream of Clean Energy at a Very High Price https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/27/science/fusion-power-plant-iter-france.html
    I heard in conversation about the subject the temperature differences inside the Tomahawk reactor are so huge that the leaking of heat, instead of containment, makes the project impossible, but we will see. They want to use superconductivity magnets to create a strong magnetic field in which the plasma can be contained. In the extreme low temperatures in combination with temperatures close to the temperature of the sun.

I was optimistic about Iter project but since it takes 32 years since the project has started in 1985 I become more and more sceptical about it.
    ITER - Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITER
    I agree with you on that one.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.