New Kind Of Race

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by longliner45, Feb 26, 2006.

1. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

Im from small town america, on sunday we have drag races at kill care speedway, some of the best races {and cars} are the ones that ,,,,you can race it but you have to drive it to the track,,,,meaning street legal and all.OK now how about this ,every year a location is choosen , how you get there??? only by sail, no bs about shipping your boat on a supertanker ,what kind of boats would come out of this?

2. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

That thinking is how the Americans kept the America's Cup for so long. Only in the 50's did the challenger have the ability to ship the boats over. Even the Js had to come on their own bottoms.
    If that is the rule you want, then the races must be held somewhere that EVERY boat has to cross an ocean to reach. Antarctica, anyone?
    Steve

3. longliner45

YES every year switch veneu and maybe only announce it 2mos prior. sponcerd by differant countrys so no one has home port advantage all the time

4. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Well, I think the boats for such a race would look pretty much like the current VOR boats, scaled up or down to fit your rule.

That is what the VOR's are doing currently; sailing around the world, (mostly;) ) on their own bottoms. To attend harbour races in various cities. Racers are a tough bunch.

Tad

5. longliner45

thanks tad .remember Im not a racer , but an old commercial fisherman ,but I do have a sailboat , I would like to see more ocean going boats, this is one way to make it happen,kind of like when the reality show survivor came on ,I thought they would drop 10 people off on an island and give them some forks ,I would just like to see some stronger designs come out.

6. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Actually if I remember rightly that's how the Single Handed Transatlantic started, until the 'popular press' got hold of it! :eek: :cool: