Understanding 'rep points' question.

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by ned L, Feb 25, 2009.

1. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

Mmm... Interesting, anyone can read the forum suggestion and complain area and get hold of how all this began. It just another can of worm... I am happy with my point anyway... No newbie but yet no expert, just a normal boat lover... VIVA boat design Internatioanael... :D:D:D

1 person likes this.
  2. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

because i have never ever hidden, what the hell is the photo for? abt 15 people on here write to me as stu, no secret, but keep it up somebody will notice I spose
    the folk who hate me do so because I firstly objected to one calling all muslims under 5 killers(he should have been banned) and instead of ticking him off for this, I should have just flagged the post. The self same person purported to be a tug officer,and when I asked for his past employers and his number, he refused i picked him as a fraud from day one, when I posted a thread abt navigation the old way, and he knew nothing
    Well Mike the bike, Safe Walriz I can tell you that even today a DAYS Work is in the officer syllabus, and you can not be a mate without knowing that and many other navigational methods, that are used without modern aids So please if you are going to mouth off then first prove yourself. And I can promise you the only neg points I have given are to Masalai, M read the other thread before you kick off here please

3. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Prove yourself Lazy dog!

4. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Like most others it seems, I too dislike the idea of negative rep points. I think it violates the intended (positive) spirit of this forum, let the negative folk vent their splenetic mental bile in a post. Lots do anyway! God bless the Ignore facility!

5. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

I think you all missed my point here... I was refering that I would gladly not use the rep system. Due to fact that in any forum a few elitis (mention in other similarthread) people like and probarly huggle in groups... Due to their country, race and other sort of preference... I know I shouldn't say that as I understand this forum is quiet professional in the past when I first join in. I could be a part of this folly crew without myself realizing.
    I just like to point out this is an old issue that had been heated debate and name bashing in the past. These guys still here it seem... I found that somehow they grew weary and change their character. I for one found they talk boat more now then they use to... Anybody is welcome to give me a neg point anyday as I come to seek knowledge not point. .

6. masalai

masalai masalai

Westie, The guilt of one of the loud "anti" neg poster advocates, may reside with me, but my objection is that it gives NO feedback when done without reasonable comment except spite and not knowing who, then the negative poster shows true cowardice and childish petulance not becoming of the spirit of this forum, from which I have learnt heaps, and still continue to find valuable information, so usually now in PM's...
    The points are not the issue... The reason for, and a reasoned objection should be posted in normal reply in the thread so further explanation and understanding can be developed....

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

The admin feels that it stops people from misbehaving. He appears to be the only one that thinks so.

You could start a vote!!! if you wanted.

Dont know if it will do any good.

8. masalai

masalai masalai

Like your "do you carry" thread? Are you a big enough person to decide for yourself? :D:D:D:D

9. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

The Post Feedback / Rep point system has definitely been a focus of some frustration since it was introduced in 2006. (but before that date there was more frustration expressed about the things the rep system helped to reduce, e.g. disagreements boiling over in the public forum and distracting from the thread at hand or at the opposite side of the spectrum, nothing being said until a lot of animosity built and people said "I'm leaving the forum because of what "that guy" has posted when "that guy" was never given an indication that he was offending a number of people.) It is certainly not perfect, and in cases like this, mistakes do happen which have caused unnecessary hurt feelings and frustration. (I appreciate the community rectifying the situation in this case and I apologize that I did not see this thread until now.)

However as a whole, it does give the community a way to help moderate itself, to give me feedback and one additional small tool to help moderate the forum. It provides a tool to give feedback to a poster without cluttering up a thread with off-topic arguments. It allows subtle feedback to be given before things boil over. And even though a number never tells a full story at all, it gives me a quick indication as I (and others) read the forums how people feel about a given poster, whether a given post is representative or atypical of that poster, etc.

If I could find a perfect system, I would take it.

10. masalai

masalai masalai

Jeff, could we trial where the poster is identified in "rep points" by their avatar? - That would remove the "petulant attack" and maybe induce some relevant comment relating to the post instead of something inane like "you deserve this" - - - Generally the differing view is done in open thread response, and the etiquette could be easily explained to any newbie, as the poster would be known and not anonymous.... I would even accept anonymous post if praise (in rep) but hit the neg button and the posters avatar is sent to the recipient of the bad rep so they have an opportunity to respond.... and explain themselves...

Thanks Jeff - I understand your position and appreciate your role....

< What happened to "Lies & witchcraft"?? | Forum Rules / Code of Conduct >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.