Understanding 'rep points' question.

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by ned L, Feb 25, 2009.

1. ned L

ned L Junior Member

I started visiting here regularly about four months ago now & just caught on to what the 'rep points' are, and was surprised to see that I am at a -5. When I looked to find out why I was equally surprised to see that I was given negative points for suggesting that a new member might find a more knowledge and comprehensive answer on a different web site. (In the two and a half weeks since then there have been only three other replies to that person’s question, and none of the replies answered his question, so I still believer that my referral was good advise.)
    I have to say that I don't really understand the logic for a negative hit when good direction to other helpful references is given. Is it a policy of this site not to refer people to other places even if the answer cannot be found here? Just wondering.

5 people like this.
  2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

The rep points are given or taken by individuals, and not any policy. Watch. I'll fix you right up.

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Hmmmm well Ille give you a tip, usually you dont know who dun it but if you were hit by 15 points then its some one with a reasonable amount of points them self. The more you have the more you have clout power

Its a very un popular system and is hated by all but the admin. It has caused all sorts of problems but to date as I know of cured none.

Ive sent you a few. You did the right thing.

1 person likes this.
  4. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

I made up my mind NEVER EVER TO GIVE neg points, and as these two say it is really unpopular, and often has little to do with your skills advice or knowledge. there is a lot of poor advice given but the drill is ignore it and IF someone still posts drivel, just put im on ignore

5. masalai

masalai masalai

ned L, It seems that the "gutless cretin" has struck again (or are they breeding in hyperspace)... My policy is to post affirmative ONLY and give, as a way of saying "thank You" in a constructive way.... Negative points just show the petulant immaturity of the "taker" and their sad mental state as it is usually done anonymously - one has to insert (type in) your "avatar name", as it is not automatic as in open posts and PM's.

I hope you grow to enjoy participation in your areas of interest as there is ample space for all topics - just keep the subject thread in the appropriate grouping as some seem to object to forms of piracy and cross polination :D:D:D

6. ned L

ned L Junior Member

Thanks for the replies, I guess these 'rep points' are a bit of a hot button & I now understand why. I just thought it quite odd to be in negative numbers for directing someone to a good source for their answer. (I was also a bit surprised at who I think did it (looking @ the time stamp) as, based on his replies, he does know what he is talking about).
    I won't be doing a lot of posting here as I generally comment only on what I know & don't see a need to duplicate answers to much. However, if anyone needs to know anything about the boats and boatbuilding on the New Jersey shore (esp. lapstrake) I'll be here (There is a hundred+ year history of probably more pleasure boat builders there than in just about any other equally sized area in the country.)

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Ned dont be put off by some negative cretin, we have all had to put up with this admin decision, as said no one likes it.

It is hard however to soldier forward under fire for free but we are for some strange reason expected to do so. ( some comments on that one I expect)

Just write what you want and to hell with it.

It has infact had the opposite effect to what was thought to be the result. In other words I think people have become careless in there replies expecting deduction were non was called for or was necessary due to mis understanding of the system as was yourself.

Some seem to think that disagreement is cause for deduction, usually beginers. It is however for inappropriate behavour and certainly not disagreement which is normal in every day discussion

8. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Just ignore the point system, your number will grow over time.

I don't play the game myself, if I like something I might send a PM, or mention it in the thread.

That's just me though.

9. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

'tis a totally rediclious system that drives some to distraction, best left to itself, it does cause some problems at times when a certain well know unmarked gutless wonder - actually the main one got banned but he's back, but at the moment is being clever (or as clever as he thinks he can be) started giving negative points out to many people - it proved one thing tho' (it wasn't intended to) that the system didn't work!!

ignore it - if you can - Kach is right

10. hansp77

hansp77

666 rep points for the walrus- are you sure those aren't upside down horns mate:p

11. masalai

masalai masalai

1 person likes this.
  12. Guest62110524

you are SUPRISED?just your being here rattles a lot of us, because in 5500 posts you have NOTHING to cintribute abt boating, and I would be suprised if you had ever owned a stock or a business, yet you continue copy, past, rave, day after day, so there you are. You have me on IGGY, great, bet you read this though:))

13. masalai

masalai masalai

ned L, I see donations have been flooding in, this has to be a record, 20 posts and 105 rep points :D:D:D:D well done... - - - That demonstrates the way things should happen, support if you like it and sit quietly if you dont - this world could do with less antagonism towards others.... and more support, sympathy, understanding and friendly attitude....

Whoosh, behave.....

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  14. Guest62110524

also it shud reflect upon knowledge of boats and this FORUM NOT THINGS LIKE THE FINANCIAL STATE OF the world, not racism, just boats, knowledge of them, knowledge of weather, knowledge of skills --- so lets all push a real master, sailer, engineer, mariner thru the 1000 Guillermo

15. masalai

masalai masalai

There are 24,468 threads and only a few not specifically and directly related to boats - if you don't like it read something else or better still go back to Europe and build your canal barge (oops sorry that was Lazy Jacks and you saw him buried?) you seem to have an Australian internet address the same as LJ's how come?

< What happened to "Lies & witchcraft"?? | Forum Rules / Code of Conduct >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.