Concept to basic line drawings - 40 foot power boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by 67-LS1, Sep 6, 2003.

1. 67-LS1

67-LS1 Senior Member

Here are the drawings

These are the hand drawings I've done to date.
    That's if they show up. I'm not sure I'm attaching them correctly.
    Dennis

The design would be a power boat of approx. 40' LOA, with a 9' beam, twin engines, open cockpit with a small cuddy forward under a very flat deck.

why didn't that work? It showed up as an attachement but didn't show up in this cell? Hmmmm.....

Attached Files:

2. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

(Only .gif and .jpg files show up inline - other file types show as links)

3. 67-LS1

67-LS1 Senior Member

can I change a .doc to a .gif or .jpg?

4. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Sure. Once you put an image into Word it tends to be a bit tricky to get the full resolution version back out, but no problem as long as all you need is screen resolution.

Here is the image from the above .doc you posted as a .gif

Attached Files:

5. 67-LS1

67-LS1 Senior Member

Thanks Jeff.

6. dougfrolich

dougfrolich Senior Member

Great looking sketches Dennis

7. yachtdesigner

yachtdesigner Junior Member

Dennis:

Are you intending to build this vessel yourself or bid out for a custom yard to do so? While your drawings convey the idea of the vessel fairly well, it would not take a great deal of additional detail to prepare them for a formal bid package that can be distributed to a handful of reputable builders. Should you wish to discuss follow-up to prepare suitable drawings please contact me at the following E-mail: egalfaro@att.net

Thank you for your consideration. You may view my services link in this forum under the heading "LOOKING FOR A YACHT DESIGNER?"

Regards,
    Earl G. Alfaro

8. Dim

Dim Senior Member

Great looking sketches Dennis, again.

Dim.

9. L.DOSSO

L.DOSSO Junior Member

yes it seems vey good.The BOAT seems to have good proportions.Why, dennis don't you enroll westlawn school of yacht design! Perhaps the chine line is too low @transom.WITH WINDOWS, she would perhaps be a beautiful sedan cruiser.You have to think of the winter sundays.You should give us a prelim.displacement(provide you have a set of lines to scale ,a planimeter,and a little from us-yacht designers and from our more scientific brothers na.architects and P.E. Take care.lucas

10. 67-LS1

67-LS1 Senior Member

Do you think there is sufficiant detail at this point to have these drawings entered into a CAD system to be scaled?

The drawings that I scanned in were shrunk on the copier first, so I think only thetwo profile views are the same scale. The plan view is smaller. But when I drew these I tried as best I could to stay in scale. When it comes to the interior proportions, engine room size etc, that's where I'm a little lost.

I'm going to try to add some scale lines to these when I get a chance and even try to figure out how to do a view from the bow and stearn.

I have to admit that the design isn't totaly original. I drew these trying to replicate the hull form of some used PT boats for sale in Virginia (I think). There just too, too big. The dodger around the helm I envision looking like the Liberty 42 Express, but further forward. There's input from a bunch of other boats all the way down to the Schaida day cruiser.

11. Dim

Dim Senior Member

..."Do you think there is sufficiant detail at this point to have these drawings entered into a CAD system to be scaled?"...

It's very easy, Dennis. It is more difficult to pass through a street.

12. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It looks like the engines go quite forward. What kind of drive do you envision? They could be O/D with jackshafts, surface drives or inboards. The maximum beam is close to the engineroom area. The hull appears to be a semi-displacement design.

13. BrettM

BrettM Senior Member

Cockpit sole looks far too low (below wl?) and what about fuel. I would assume under thecockpit sole against the engine room bhd would be your first guess.

14. 67-LS1

67-LS1 Senior Member

Gonzo,
    The engines do go forward under the sole in the helm area. They would be jack-shafted to Arneson surface drives. The transom would be notched significantly to both shorten the running surface and keep the props under the swim platform (not shown).
    It's supposed to be a planning hull so my drawing must need work. I'm also wondering at what speed does a "pad keel" start to help.

Brett,
    I see that the cockpit sole is below the waterline. I'll have to fix that. For fuel tanks I was thinking of locating them along the sides of the cockpit, under the gunnels. Against the engine room bulkhead would work to. I don't believe in huge tanks as fuel weighs to much to lug around. I would size the tanks for approx. 12 hours of operation at say 75% load. This would mean I would have to re-fuel about every third or forth boating trip which is fine by me.

Dim,
    I asked a friend who uses CAD for work (he's a soils engineer) if he could scan or load the drawing into his CAD system so I could see 3D views, etc, and he said he would have to what amounts to tracing the whole drawing in. Is there an easier way I could tell him about?

Thanks,
    Dennis

15. Dim

Dim Senior Member

Dennis,

see my first picture in gallery ( it's the last picture today ) and show your friend. This work was made 3 years ago. It's not self publicity. It's my short answer.
    More - a bit later.

Dim.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.