determining Engine size?

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by wildbill, Feb 21, 2012.

1. wildbill

wildbill Junior Member

what size engine would be recommended for a 60' power boat with and 18' beam?..... what is good estimate of fuel consumption per hour?

2. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

I'd say about 20 hp,and you can look at using around 4l an hour.

3. wildbill

wildbill Junior Member

and that is sufficient horsepower for a 60' boat?

4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Is it hard chine, round blige?
    What is the max weight of the boat?

5. ldigas

ldigas Senior Member

60 foot boat with a 18 foot beam? If I'm reading those apostrophes correctly ... then that would be 18.3m boat with 5.5m beam.

Displacement around 25-30 tons, depending on the type of the hull?

The required power depends on speed, naturally, which is unfortunatelly missing, and the term "power boat" is somewhat vague to me - power as opposed to sail boat, or "power boat" meaning those fast racing boats? In my part of the world it usually means the former.

In any case, on a cruiser (by no means a racing boat) which I've recently been occupied on, the power required for 7-8 knots was 70kW and for 11 knots it was 350kW. Maybe you could use these as orientation values.

6. wildbill

wildbill Junior Member

yeah thx.... big help there... a lot of variables but that gives me a starting point....

power boat as in no sail.... not racing .... speed is nice but economy is better since it will be use for commercial fishing .... design is typical SE Asian pom boat with stabilizers... flat bottom

wow that is a big jump from 7 to 11 knots .... even at the low end if my calculations are correct..... i am looking at 20 liters per hour?

7. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

It all depends. If you are looking at dragging nets it could be twice that fuel burn for 3kn depending on the size of the trawl, hull shape, power takeoffs for ice boxes, ect. My 60' burns between 2 gallons an hour at 6kn to 20/hr at 15kn. But I also know 60' that burn 100gallons/hr at 37kn. It all depends. There are also highly efficient hulls like my old sailboat 58' that got .9gallons/hr at 8kn.

8. wildbill

wildbill Junior Member

what engine are you running in your cruiser? .... i like that ratio.... nice to have power when you need and efficiency when you dont .....

this boat will used primarily as a tender ... taxiing small boats to and from the tuna grounds .... storage of ice, fuel, groceries.... delivering fish to market ..... very low tech....

9. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Wildbill, you need to give more info. The required power will depend on you boat's dimensions (LWL, BWL, draught), displacement, hull type and particularities (example: canoe or transom stern, mid-section shape, number of engines, appendages etc.), desired cruise or max speed, typical expected weather conditions and sea states etc. There are various methods for calculation of engine power, which one should be used will depend on the above (and not only) data.
    You could check this thread too: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/calculating-power-displacement-boats-38487.html

Cheers

10. wildbill

wildbill Junior Member

thanks for the link ..... a plethora of info ..... glad i stumbled upon this msg board...you guys have been most helpful....................wb

11. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Well , hauled at the yard is a 60 ft motorboat. She needs two thousand hp to move along . Dont know how much she drinks...probably so much that you avoid starting the engines.

12. wildbill

wildbill Junior Member

damn..... what is that a high speed tug? .... my calcs are 1 gal of fuel per hour for every 19 hp .... thirsty girl...........

13. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Men with gold chains and dark sunglasses use these vessels to transport bikini clad girls to the beach.

Attached Files:

14. ldigas

ldigas Senior Member

I'm not familiar with those boats. Do you have an image of the boat out of the water or a rough lines plan you could put up?

15. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

16-92's nice

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.