Under the waterline paint? / gelcoat? / flowcoat?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by wrbowcal, Oct 7, 2010.

1. wrbowcal

wrbowcal Junior Member

I was talking to one of the guys at a store where go to get supplies for my boat I am working on and he said I could re apply gelcoat to the hull by using a roller? Can this be done? Gelcoat is too thick for that is it not?

2. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Yes, it can be done. Sand the bottom really well, then apply gelcoat to the bottom. I suggest applying at least 2 layers, with the last layer some parafin added to it, so it cures without a sticky surface.

Then take a piece of sandpaper, and sand everything smooth. Use finer sandpapers, up to grit 1000 or finer, and polish up the bottom. It is a hell of a job, but it can be done.

Of course, under the waterline, you could also use any bottom paint of your liking.