Under sole fuel tank

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Arko, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Ken

Ken Junior Member

Thanks, Gonzo please forgive my typing I'm dealing with a ton of pop-ups. Ok so just place 1/2" plywood under the plastic tank then boly in the tank and I'm good to go? should I resin the plywood? Then do the plumbing. Thanks again,

Ken

2. Ken

Ken Junior Member

Thanks, Gonzo please forgive my typing I'm dealing with a ton of pop-ups. Ok so just place 1/2" plywood under the plastic tank then bolt in the tank and I'm good to go? should I resin the plywood? Then do the plumbing. Thanks again,

Ken

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You have to at least resin coat the plywood. The tank needs fore and aft supports, which can be plywood bulkheads fastened or glassed to the bottom support. The hatch cover, if well fastened is adequate as top support for the tank.

4. Ken

Ken Junior Member

Gonzo, Thanks again. Ok so You say cut an access cover in the deck. Build fore and aft bulkheads for the tank and lay glassed plywood under the tank where it contacts the bottom of the hull. Also I intend to bolt it to the stringers on the sides. sound good?

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Remember regulations require an access plate to the fittings and fuel gage on top of the tank. Everything looks OK. Good luck.

6. Ken

Ken Junior Member

Thanks Gonzo I really do appreciate Your help. Regards Ken

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.