Unable to remove bung from thru-hull........

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by calldmr, Jun 20, 2007.

1. calldmr

calldmr New Member

I put in a bung into a thru-hull while I cleaned the knot meter. My wife called me on deck and I pushed down the bung a little more firmly because I was afraid it might dislodge in my absence. I didn't get back to it for about 45 minutes and by that time it was firmly set due to the wooden bungs expanding.

I've tried channel locks and vice-grips using moderate pressure. The wood is coming apart and I'm reluctant to use additional pressure. The thru-hulls are metal. Anyone have any ideas?

2. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Unable to remove bung....

Sounds a daft idea - but try a good quality corkscrew. Failing that you may have to drill it out (carefully) and start again.:(

3. TerryKing

TerryKing On The Water SOON

Removal?

Similar to Bergalia's,idea: I have done something like this by driving four 2 inch drywall screws (or those nice stainless 'beaver bite' screws) thru a small piece of wood (pilot drill first) and into the part to be removed. You can tighten the screws a little at a time to pull evenly. Block the wood piece up on each end if you need more travel.

Onboard, in Bergalia's frame of mind, I have also used the stainless steel screws in a true emergency when I lost the corkscrew, to open the wine. Worked fine!

4. alan white

alan white Senior Member

If that danged thing is still in there, drill a hole and stick a straight soldering iron in it.

Alan

5. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Chiming in with Terry, I've used soldering irons on occasion to open wine bottles, patch plaster, and even deliver Panda babies.

Alan

6. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Oh come on Alan...You just can't leave it there...I don't care if others whine about it not being 'boat' orientated...you've just got to tell.....:(

7. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Forgot to mention. Sea Pandas, not the chinese ones. If you've ever taken one aboard, a pregnant one especially, You know how doggone hard it can be to safely deliver the pup at sea.
    I've tried all manner of contrivences---- marlinspikes, deck keys, even winch handles, but to tell the truth, than Sears soldering iron turned out to be the one item that did the trick time and time again.
    If you've ever been stuck onboard with an ugly-tempered mother Water Panda, you know EXACTLY what I mean. Those shifty, suspicious raccoon eyes staring a hole through you, the hot tropical sun overhead, the smell, my God, that smell!
    Besides, I'm saving this thread. How long do you think a thread on removing bungs from thru-hulls is going to last? Another hour?

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

This is a very common problem and one with wich I can sympothise with.

A small stick of dynamite or other suitable explosive droped over the side within the viscinity of the affore mentioned through hull fitting should dislodge the blighter.

On the other hand a 4 inch 12 wood screw screwd into the plug and a claw hammer with appropriate blocks of wood on wich to lever could work also.

9. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Now see what you've done Alan...you've roused Frosty from his slumbers....:D

10. alan white

alan white Senior Member

In search of berries---- or perhaps a bit of panda meat. Or organ soup...

11. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

As an aside, most knot meter manufactures sell a plug for their units for under $20. When the boat is berthed, you pull the unit and install the plug. When you go sailing, you install the unit. The unit never gets fouled and lasts a lot longer also.....and you never will have this problem again.