Ultra-easy boat desisgn software

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dr.Smart, Dec 30, 2010.

1. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Yes he asked for software with the qualifier that it be "super easy", and I asked some questions to help with the recommendation of software. Software which may be very appropriate for a simple skiff may not be approrpiate for a larger cruising yacht.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

DCockey, don't be too concerned about Edwardn, it was his first post and look how he elected to introduce himself.

3. Edwardn

Edwardn Junior Member

True, my first post on the forum, just as it was for the OP and after seeing the way people who are trying to learn get bashed by others here with a holier than thou attitude I was wrong in assuming this was another attempt, my apologies to all.

4. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

Edwardn, welcome , check this out
    http://www.carlsondesign.com/
    scroll down the page and you will find shareware for boat design ,
    there you will find "Hulls" design tool . It is fun and some have used it to design
    boats.

Good luck
    F

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The danger with all this "easy to use software" is that, as PAR says will draw a pretty looking picture that is not a good boat. Knowledge of boat handling and design is what is really important. The method of drawing, or building without drawings, is very secondary.

6. PAR

I intentionally saved several of my "drawings" from days very long ago. I have one on my wall above my drawing table and it was penned before computers or my understanding of design concepts. It's hideous, imposable to build, about as inefficient a set of shapes imaginable and I still gringe as I look at it, thinking I couldn't have ever been this naive about design. It's not bad looking as a boat drawing, if you don't know anything about boat shapes, though it does have late 60's styling which is also hard to live with, but at the time was quite fashionable.

7. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

I have designed a built a few boats , one was bad ,other not so good. A program will not design a boat for you . It does allow you to check out several ideas and see where your thinking is wrong . This is worthless if you do not know what you are looking for. But programs can be a good learning tool. Watching and using boats can tell you a lot. But for the amateur, not being involved in boat design , and building on a daily basis, is a big disadvantage. This is where a forum like this has much value for the student and armature alike . It is a place for a person that is out of the loop can have an on going conversation with those that have a wealth of information that only comes from working in the marine industry.

Still we amateurs persevere.
    F

8. Edwardn

Edwardn Junior Member

Thanks Frank, i'll give it a look as i enjoy playing around with different programs. I have a 2D cad program i use for my cnc cutter but i am finding it tuff switching to 3D for some reason? I can draw boat parts all day long in 2D but at the end of the day they mean nothing because i know nothing about boat designing. Originally i was going to try to learn and design my own but after finding this site and reading what the pro's have to say about this i have decided to can that idea and buy them, so far i have a few mono study plans and just ordered some multi hulls to see what i am up against and to decide what style of boat suits us best.

Thanks Gonzo and Par, you speak in reallity and it was posts like this that opened my eyes to it.

1 person likes this.

9. PAR

You can design your own boat, but it will take some (substantial if for hire) study. Imagine attempting to design an airplane or 10 story office building. You may have some good ideas, but you'll need some study just to get through some of the "hoops" and the more complicated the project, the more difficult the hoop jump thing can become.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.