Transom extension

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by bobbrown, Apr 5, 2022.

1. bobbrown

bobbrown Junior Member

Ply on frame …14 foot…9.9 hp outboard. I’m about to finish this thing up.was all set with the transom for short shaft. Well, low and behold a buddy set me up with a 4 stroke long shaft. So now I need to raise the transom 5” or so. I can go to the bandsaw and make a somewhat decorative extension…so that’s not the issue. The existing transom is basically framed 2x4 covered with 1/4” ply. So, I have a nice flat top to work with. Don’t really want the expense or weight of a bought extension. My current thinking is run a series of pins epoxied in oversized hole per Gougeon Brothers manual.
    Any thoughts….thanks

2. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

Is there some reason for not running the long shaft as is? Other than the propellor being a little deeper in the water,what problem do you think it would cause?

3. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

4. bobbrown

bobbrown Junior Member

This boat will be used in shallow inshore marsh. Concerning the jack plate….just doesn’t interest me. I’m at the stage where this fix is easy to do…my concern was the method of using pins in over sized epoxy filled holes. I have a lot of experience in this type application…used to build high end pergolas with no exposed fasteners…all thickened epoxy pins. I just can’t see the problem but thought it might be a good idea to float the thought to you guys. Thanks

5. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

The pins idea ain't great unless they are say 1/2" metal.

Another way would be to remove the top and epoxy extensions onto the existing timbers. Probably 6" of sistering would be good. In buildings, this type of extending is not allowed and called pinpointing...fyi.

But, you can remove the existing plywood sides past the sistering and make it pretty strong. Or overlap the existing plywood, but that is kinda ugly sounding.

Anytime you present discontinuity in a structure; it creates a weakness next to an area of strength, but for only 10hp; the forces are not so great, generally.

6. bobbrown

bobbrown Junior Member

Thanks fallguy

fallguy likes this.

7. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Forgot to mention, to sister timbers, dry fit, then mixed epoxy coat both sides for an hour, then use thickened epoxy 2:1 cabosil to epoxy by volume for the bond.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.