Ubuntu and other sacrifices to the god Linux

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Meanz Beanz, May 18, 2008.

1. masalai

masalai masalai

Errr Heinz, How is your "Ubuntu" going? - try the above from aarnet as no need to depend on lack of pigbond's packpone...

2. Meanz Beanz

Meanz Beanz Boom Doom Gloom Boom

Its not at the moment Mas, I'm frigging around rebuilding a database that munges stock data... one table has 5.5 million lines, apparently that's getting a little much for MS Access so I'm custom building a PHP/MySQL Web Appy thingy to munge this stuff around... hopefully alot faster :D

3. masalai

masalai masalai

try mint then... also PHP & MySQL are available as downloads & often someone has built something close to needs.... keep the gpl and re post the app you have made (not the data.....:D:D:D

4. Meanz Beanz

Nobody that I have ever met munges stock data quite like I do... its a sickness of lateral thinking that is so simple that it evades smart people, it pays to be stooopid sometimes :D

5. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

good thng or i would NEVER have money,,hehe ;)

6. masalai

masalai masalai

I know exactly what you mean, in the late 70's I wrote a prog to select lotto numbers and had got to the stage where I could guarantee the 6 numbers from my selection of 12 numbers out of 45 in the list (the original lotto system) - no way to lodge a "system 12" and not worried about getting all the permutations and no one could give me just the combinations formula in sets of 6..... so I deleted it......

7. Meanz Beanz

**** Mas (he exclaimed)... that sounds impossible! You ought to munge stock data... maybe you will come up with some insights. All you can achieve in my experience is to skew the probability in your favour, combine that with the correct behaviour and you are on a winner. In fact its the latter that far out weighs the former. A hard nosed pro trader can make a dart board and the news paper work. My nose is still a little soft... so I need statistical support :D

8. masalai

masalai masalai

Heinz, Trouble is that most of the plays on all forms of the stock-market are made by young, educated, dumb/stupid babies & I am no good with kids or "anal-arse-ing" group psychology sessions - give me raw random number analysis or stuff like that - well not so much now as half my brain has retired and the other half has too many loose connections to access the database between my ears....

9. masalai

masalai masalai

Why do programmers always get Christmas and Halloween mixed up?
    Because DEC 25 = OCT 31

How do you keep a programmer in the shower all day?
    Give him a bottle of shampoo which says "lather, rinse, repeat."

A system programmer came home from work almost at dawn and told his wife enthusiastically: "Tonight I have installed a new release of MVS/ESA together with VM/CMS and CICS/VS".
    "G.O.O.D" answered his wife.

The Programmers' Cheer

Shift to the left, shift to the right!
    Pop up, push down, byte, byte, byte!

10. Meanz Beanz

Stock market is simple, its an exercise in group psychology... about as logical as a foot ball crowd most of the time.

Mint ISO downloaded and CD prepared... :D

Ah life and its array of choices! Personally I can only count to 1.... 0,1... why go any further?

11. Meanz Beanz

Must work in the MS OS department... specialize in infinite loops :D

12. masalai

masalai masalai

I agree Heinz, binary counting is good enough for ALL computers so MUST be OK/Good :D:D:D:D

13. masalai

masalai masalai

14. Meanz Beanz

Mint installation crap....it thinks it got it right, even displays the boot loader... thats useless though because it has not loaded the USB drivers at that point and can't see the USB keyboard.... even though its available through the rest of the boot...??? genius boys pure genius. Got another keyboard out to get past that and hey presto its knackered the XP install. I suspected this might happen when I was forced to use the "auto option" on the install because the manual option would not work, damn auto option does not even tell you what its doing.... typical crap. Trying to rescue Windows now, wife pissed off again (her machine, thanks Linux gods...)

Seems it can't deal with an multiple partition machine very well... its all good if you just want to one OS but beyond that these things ALWAYS screw up!

Pile of crap!

15. masalai

masalai masalai

You must have the "wrong Ying & Yang"? works OK for me but then I don't have *******.....?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.