Ubuntu and other sacrifices to the god Linux

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Meanz Beanz, May 18, 2008.

1. Meanz Beanz

Meanz Beanz Boom Doom Gloom Boom

Just a new thread to extract all the geek talk from the other threads.

OK M, what firewall and antivirus are we using or do we recomend?

Thanks in advance

Beanz

2. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

like we even look at new threads,,hehe ;)
    well i reccomend eset nod32 3.0.642.0 antivirus,,,and avg pro anti,,,,,and zone alarm pro,,and sygate pro for firewalls,,,,ooo,, i found disconnectiong from the internet helps out too,,,hehe ;)

3. Meanz Beanz

I'm assuming that most flavours of firewall and av that I know are not available on Linux.... better check that eh?

4. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

oooo,,,ya,,,,the previouse post was fer windows,,hehe,,,guess i missed the "linux" part of the thread,,,hehe magine dat ha ;)

5. Meanz Beanz

Yup... hmmmm I am in wireless hell at the moment. Flaky crap going off left and right, not good for business!

6. masalai

masalai masalai

Sorry Heinz, busy playing monopoly with the bank....

I just load "synaptic Package Manager" and installed "clamav" and leave it do its thing as any lazy ******* would - mainly for outgoing stuff - to please the windows users?

Synaptic has a search engine, just type in "firewall" and make your pick

Fcuk are you doing this on your business machine - very courageous my politician Sir... Need time to learn and tweak to your style of doing things...

most executables will only execute on user instructions - and windows files will only execute via wine - I gave the command before on this net and have forgotten it/lost track so if you find that command line let me know... wine is also available to download... nearly all files starting with "k" in the package name are for the KDE environment - the club users prefer KDE over Gnome as a gui environment as it comes with "better tools" especially for "command line freaks" and programmers - look again in synaptic but using the button at bottom left <sections>....

7. masalai

masalai masalai

8. Meanz Beanz

Its a backup machine M, the wireless issues are separate and about god proving he has a sense of humour... busy preparing lamb as sacrifice to Linux gods at the moment.... some of this chit is pretty arcane! Network manager don't like my wireless card, its flaky.... worked yesterday but ?! #%^%&*^$$#$!!!!! today :D

9. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

Over the last three years I've bought, installed, and networked over a dozen computers. All ran XP (when I bought a Vista machine, I paid a guy to remove it and install XP), all run AVG (viruses), AdAware (spyware), and use the standard Windows XP firewall. Despite downloading thousands of customer files from all over the world (I'd guess 15-20,000 files), and having half the computers constantly online, we've had one instance of a virus sneaking in. (When XP was taken off the market, I started stockpiling computers running XP Pro from eBay and uBid.)

I'm just offering this perspective in case you're unduly concerned about the Windows platform. I realize that some guys just like the challenge of Linux. The only other guy I know who used Linux was also someone I admire, a very intelligent guy, and often going nuts trying to make it work.

Ok, now I'm gonna go see if anyone posted new pics to the pics thread.

10. masalai

masalai masalai

Good onya tinhorn, may bill G remember your faithfulness in his will?

Heinz, just play around - doing mindless changes - it will either decide to work, or totally fcuk up, at which point install another distro - try linux mint this time - sometimes it just requires a different geek approach to the installation process - I think cpu's have taste and may prefer the different flavour........ Suse is another, and Fedora - these both use rpm's as packaging systems, suse may come with all the codecs & plugins - not sure... Last time I used Fedora (free version of the business "RedHat" version as used by many ISP's) it maintained a policy totally against "non open source" stuff...

11. Meanz Beanz

M... I delved into its brain and manually altered it... WPA encryption upset it for some reason.

Tinhorn... I have worked with Windows since V2.0, ugly blue thing... MSCP, MSCE + Internet etc etc qualified to the wazoo on MS stuff (well a little outta date now :D). I can make Windows bomb proof and yes I also have never had a drama, anyway.... I swear the shove time bomb "slow down" code in their updates to drive new machine/OS sales... Sick of tweaking, rebuilding etc etc Its way to resource hungry... that's just an MS mindset, they don't give a crap about elegant code with a small foot prints they just put on weight and features mindlessly. So I gunna play with Linux for a while and see what she does... self induced pain ATM but we will see how it all comes out in the end :D

12. masalai

masalai masalai

Just for your entertainment as a reward for your perseverance:::::

Grandma in Traffic

Dear grandchild,
    The other day I had purchased a bumper sticker that read “Honk if you love Jesus” and I was merrily tootling along enjoying the trip home after the nice man stuck the sticker on my bumper...

I was sitting in the front row, waiting for the lights to change and thinking of how nice people can be and how much I loved Jesus. All of a sudden I was startled by honking, and bless me I was feeling so happy with all the people expressing how much they loved Jesus too – must have good eyes to read my bumper sticker. How marvellous....

Then people started wishing me “Joyous times on sunny beaches” I think – it was a little difficult to understand with all the honking... and you know, that, “Hawaiian greeting of happiness”, sign you make with the second finger extended and all the others curled over, well, that was when I figured that I was really being wished a joyous time at the beach – bless their loving hearts....

Just then I suddenly realised that the traffic lights were green and I was the only one who made it through the intersection, so I could not depart without showing these loving people of my appreciation at their "beach side" wishes and honking their love of Jesus, that I stopped, and got out, and because I was a little distant, stood up and extended both arms in the “Hawaian greeting of happiness” to all, and the expressions of their love of Jesus was almost overwhelming, so I got back in to my car and sped home to tell you of my wonderful experience, and that you should by going to church and praying to Jesus more often...

God Bless You Grandchild
    Grandma...

So when you get held up by a stream of traffic that is not moving, think of Grandma, She may be up front, praising the Lord again...

1 person likes this.
  13. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

im always called a "son-of-a-beach,,,hehe ;)

14. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

Not likely - I've cursed him too many times.

Hmmm, exactly why I'm here learning about boat design. Ok, I'll hush now.

15. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Firewall = Sygate5.5 and Antivirus = Avast V4.8. Works like a charm for me:cool:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.