DIY Polyester Spray Adhesive used before Infusion???

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Zac Penn, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Zac Penn

Zac Penn Junior Member

I am wondering if anyone has a recipe for a homemade spray adhesive that will keep the marinate in place while I am placing everything into my mold and bag? I am going to be using polyester resin w/ MEKP catalyst and then vacuum infusing some sandwich core panels.

I am thinking about maybe thinning some straight resin w/ solvent (recommendation on that would be appreciated, but I have Acetone and MEK readily available at the warehouse) and putting it into a household spray bottle. Then mist the laminate, wait for the solvent to evaporate, and then lay the laminate onto the tacky surface.

Thoughts? Ideas?

2. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Depending on the mold release product, acetone can attack it, leaving you with a sticking part. Resin works OK, so does clear gel coat, the gel coat becomes stickier sooner, you won't easily be spraying either one through a household spray bottle though. It's normally done with a siphon or gravity feed gun, and just a light coat.

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.