Rhodes 19 rebuild

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by K-MART, Jul 2, 2009.

1. K-MART

K-MART New Member

Hi guys I am in the process of bringing an old Rhodes back from the graveyard. New ribs were installed yesterday and the floor is being fitted today. We plan on racing that boat and are looking for anyway to make the boat stiffer and faster. The class rules are very liberal on where stiffeners can be added, with no restrictions on size shape or material. I was looking to add additional support between the chain plates, as well as forward from there to the forestay. I was looking to make a strong triangle between the 3 points, but have yet to decide the best approach. Any ideas?

Thank you,

Andrew

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If you want to go faster, don't add anything to the boat, because it's just weight that you have to carry. Faster means lighter.

I wouldn't add anything to the boat unless you're addressing a specific issue or set of issues, requiring some local stiffness. You can really screw up the structure with some poorly planed "additional support".

You're chain plates and stemhead fitting loads are being transmitted to the hull, not each other. Unless you can spread the load on these pieces to a larger portion of hull surface, you're just adding weight and possibly point loading to the structure, neither of which will make it stronger or faster.

I'm not sure which Rhodes 19 you have, but there are plenty of things you can do to speed her up and lighten the boat. Check the keel for plumb and that both sides are symmetrical. Consider changing the foil shapes used in the keel, do the same for the rudder. The bottom of the boat should be smooth and fair. The rig and mast have seen many variations over the decades. Get the best sails you can, this is your engine.

There's lots of stuff you can do, but do it with an eye towards lightness (spectra strops and rigging for example) and be careful about installing anything on the structure, unless you understand the impact is will have.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.