Certifications, Insurance and Legal Stuff

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Wavewacker, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Hi, well, let's say I get a really wild hair and decide to go in my garage and throw a boat together on my own, no plans at all, just start gluing and nailing wood together to make it float. Let's say it's all 30' long when I'm done and 8' wide.

I do I get it "certified" to get a title and put my state sticker on it. No inspections I know of and I paid my taxes, so I guess it's pay a fee and get a sticker.

Then, since it's 30' long, my homeowners won't cover it. So how do I get insurance on it....like just liability cause it might sink anyway.....LOL

What problems would you expect at any civilized marina? Would it be "legal" if I got near a USCG boat? (I'd have the safety equipment and required stuff) It would be an outboard and external fuel tank and a bucket for the head....and a coleman stove if that matters....

Let's assume it would look like a boat and float. :D

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You don't need to certify it unless you will carry passengers for hire. An insurance company will probably ask you for a survey. In that case the surveyor should make sure the boat is "in suitable condition for the intended use". At least that is how I phrase my surveys.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

In most states, all you need to do is have it inspected, typically by a Fish and wild Life or Harbor Patrol officer and submit some paper work. This is followed by a trip to the Tax Collector's office, where often you provide receipts for the big ticket items, such as engines, controls, building materials and they give you paper work for a title.

So, it's normally a two step process; registration and title. Gonzo is correct in that you don't need certification unless the boat will be "for hire" in some capacity or used in any commercial venture.

The only things they're looking for is to see you haven't "splashed" a boat, that you don't have stolen parts installed, a proper HIN is assigned, the paper work all matches, the taxes are paid and that it seems to reasonably comply with being a boat (pointy end facing forward etc.). This last issue is very often a bit of a joke, considering what will pass for a boat, so don't worry, build your 30' machine and have fun.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Some states, like Wisconsin, only require that you mark the box "home made" and that you paid sales taxes on materials. Then they assign you a hull number.

5. BPL

BPL Senior Member

Do insurance companies assign different rates to a home-built boat HIN?

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

No, rates are usually dependent on coverage and market value of the vessel. If it is a wooden boat, you may have to find an insurance company that specializes in them.

7. Ike

Ike Senior Member

So far everyone here has given you good advice. An individual can build any boat they want for their own use. Federal law allows the states to assign hull identification numbers to back yard built boats. Some have a box to check on the registration form, others may require you to sign a separate form certify you built it. Some states will have law enforcement officer look at it to verify the HIN, some don't.

There are some rules you do need to follow, see
    Safety Standards For Back Yard Boat Builders. http://newboatbuilders.com/docs/backyardboatbuilders.pdf

Your boat does not have to be inspected or certified. As was said if you are building it to carry passengers for hire then it does have to be "certified" and you need to talk to the Coast Guard about that

If you are building it to sell it then yes it has to be "certified", but it is certified by you, see http://newboatbuilders.com/

As for insurance, any number of insurance companies will give you liability insurance but will probably not insure the boat. The best course is to start asking. Try BOATUS. I have liability insurance through them on a 40 year old boat.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.