Stabilty solutions needed.

Discussion in 'Stability' started by ahmugz, Nov 11, 2009.

1. ahmugz

ahmugz New Member

I have a small boat 2.43 meters long 1.01 meters at the beam and .44 meters from floor to gunwale.

Is isnt very stable and i have an idea of how i might remedy this problem, but was hoping to get some suggestions.

I plan on using rigid construction insulation board ( pink or blue stuff ) To make a stabilizing runner on each side if you will.

Here is a basic drawing of the idea.

[​IMG]

The squiggly line across the stern is simulating the water line.

I plan on cutting long strips of foam and laminating them together to get the thickness i want. Then i will shape the inner side to match the hull curvature, fasten to the hull then sand and carve to shape.

I was wondering if anyone had some input as to how i might fasten/attach the foam insulation board to the hull?

The hull is fiberglass and very weathered. In fact the finish is all white and faded. Is is not a slick or glossy finish. I figured i might just glue the insulation board onto the hull then fiberglass it all to the hull.

Here are some pictures of the actual project boat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any input or ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

That boat doesn't look very unstable, in fact quite the opposite. All 8' long mono's will be a bit "touchy" as you move around in them. This is a function of their size, though the round bilges will be inclined to roll more readily then a single chine hull would.

You idea will somewhat "calm" her down, but not in all conditions and could be dangerous underway.

Maybe it would be helpful to explain what you think is "unstable" about her, what your use is, how it's powered, etc. and we can address the specific issues.

3. ahmugz

ahmugz New Member

Hey Par, Thanks for the response.

I guess it isn't horribly unstable. As you explained it does roll a bit. I was hoping to limit some of the roll as i lean out over the edge a bit.

I will use an electric motor on it and usually be going rather slow.

I will use it for duck hunting, retrieving ducks and putting out and picking up decoys.

Thanks again.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Well, if using a trolling motor, then your "wings" will help a little. If you used a pole with a hook (or something, maybe a net) you could remain seated on the centerline and retrieve the decoys and ducks, without leaning over the side. This is the key, remaining on the (or near) the centerline. Little boats are very weight sensitive (as you know) and movement will "upset" them fairly easily. Rest assured it's not going to tip over and dunk you in the drink (well okay, how well fed are you?). I suspect with some "technique" changes and more experience with your boat, you'll gain confidence and this "wing" idea will go away.

5. ahmugz

ahmugz New Member

I think you are right Par.

I usually overdo things anyways lol

Thanks a lot for the input, it is much appreciated.:)

6. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Im routing for the ducks

we got plenty of hunters :p

7. ahmugz

ahmugz New Member

LOL...I knew that might come eventually.

Peace to ya my friend.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.