Twin V6 to single diesel conversion

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by burt2, Nov 19, 2005.

1. burt2

burt2 Junior Member

I am in the process of buying a CARVER 27’ Mid Cabin which has 2 X King Cobra V6’s on Mercruiser legs (not going) I have a few years experience in fibre glass and carbon fibre laminating and 3 years of small boat rigging, so I’m pretty confident in altering the transom, but I have never played with stern drives before. A quick look around has showed me the Volvo gear is better than Mercruiser but at a price, so im not fussed if I don’t have the best but diesel is important.

The two engines have had salt water running straight through them and even though they have done only 400 hours they haven’t been started in 5 years so I think they are stuffed. The legs appear ok but are only Alpha I legs so they are not really suitable for a diesel engine, of course I want to do it as cheaply as possible but at the same time I want to make it as functional and as safe as possible. I think I will just get rid of both engines and legs and try to get a little money for them to go towards a Volvo diesel and duo prop leg but or something similar.

A few Questions; are DUO props much better, are Mercruiser cheaper to repair, where can I find good info and learn how to set up ratio and prop size and I’ve also thought of putting two small diesels onto to Alpha ones

Any suggestions/advice would be great; the boat is a mess so I got the whole year to think about motors and configurations

Thank,
    Glenn

2. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Supposedly Volvo's are only for twin engined, new Mfg. built boats. $$$$ Volvo is now American auto company owned. Should be almost up to US auto quality by now. Ford or GM owns Volvo. Any difference? :eek:

3. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

I would do a online, Michagan Wheel inboard prop selection form fillout , on their web site. You can juggle the engine power and torque and speeds till you get your speed desired. Cheap enough. Free.

4. drs3317

drs3317 New Member

burt2,
    What are you going for,...similar performance with the diesels or strictly functional with the best fuel economy?

I have thought of the idea of repowering with twin very small diesels for the economy but would loose any possibsble speed performance. Haven't decided if I'm ready to give up the speed and move like a trawler yet.

5. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

1 engine is always cheaper than 2. Forever. "The reliability of 2 engines is reduced by the # of times the owner plays with or adjusts them. " Quote is from Cyclops. :)

6. burt2

burt2 Junior Member

I'm not interested in going huge speeds so economy is the go I think between 165-200 hp diesel engine would be fine, a single engine is also preferred. I would like to cruise around 20kt.
    2 small diesels would let me use the alpha I stern legs which would be an easy install but 2 engines would not be as simple to maintain and would be expensive to buy.

Cyclops what’s that web site you were talking about got a link?

Thanks

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Volvo is Swedish. Ford bought the automotive division only. Volvos are fine for single engine application. If you want economy, fixing those engines may be cheaper. Even two V6 rebuilt or new units would be cheaper than a diesel conversion. The Alpha drives can handle a diesel. There is no difference as long as the torque rating is not exceeded.

8. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Can you hitch a ride on a similar sized and powered boat? It would nail down in a hurry, which way to go. If you dock in a windy and strong current area go with the 2 engines. Get another job for the gas. It has dropped about a $ per gallon also. Twin engines make docking a pleasure. Go for the twins. 1 rebuilt running engine, beats 1 dead new one, offshore.

9. burt2

burt2 Junior Member

ok ive found 2 x nissan 4cyl Turbo Diesels 135hp each for $8000 NZD ($5500USD) marinised and ready to go on Alpha I, thinking of giving them ago. By the way Petrol/Gas is about $1.45 per litre here vs $0.95 per litre for diesel ($5.48NZD per gallon/$3.7678USD per gallon for petrol/gas vs $3.591NZD per Gallon/$2.46USD per Gallon for Diesel)

10. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Twins ALWAYS sound great when a little off synch. Singles sound, alone?

11. burt2

burt2 Junior Member

Now I feel silly, just been to look at the boat and noticed that the legs are in fact OMC (not what I was told). Can any tell me where I can find out more about these legs, spec ETC

Engines King Cobra 4.3L V6
    Legs are cobra with the model number 985685

12. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

2 Diesels as planned and 2 very good quality rebuilt stern drives of your choice. Enjoy.

13. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

What year is it? OMC and Volvo had a joint venture for some years, and those Cobra drives are actually Volvo SX. Can you post some photos?

14. burt2

burt2 Junior Member

The legs and boat are both 1989 ill take some pictures tomorrow hopefully, they appear in good order and have 400 hours on them, but the boat was imported from Japan and the doesn't look like any maintenance or servicing has been done. They go in and out of gear still, but I can’t test them because the engines are seized up.

15. burt2

burt2 Junior Member

Sorry took so long here is a few pics of the legs

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.