Vortex lattice and panel methods

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by Pablo Sopelana, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Pablo Sopelana

Pablo Sopelana Senior Member

We are going to focus during the next weeks on developing new calculation templates about keel, rudders, hydrofoils, wingsails, and sails.

We are just starting to approach the lattice and panel methods (thank you @tspeer for pointing us out in this direction).

Is there anybody familiar with these calculation methods? Have you been using commercial software or own-developed code to solve them? Any particular pain (about the inputs, results, visualization, friendliness of use, etc.)? Regarding our approach, do you have any hints or suggestions? Anything (features, results, visualizations, etc.) that you particularly would like us to consider?

Thanks!

2. Erwan

Erwan Senior Member

Hi Pablo,

You could have a look at FLOW5 https//flow5.tech
    (sorry cannot cut and past the Internet address, I dont know why)
    Scroll down until Online Documentation
    and then do not hesitate to click on
    Thick Solid Sails: The Windsurf Example

It might be helpfull to define/refine your own project.

Cheers

Flow5 seems to be the last generation of software after XFOIL / XFLR5 Sail7/Flow5, the formers were free

3. zstine

zstine Senior Member

I used AVL ( AVL http://web.mit.edu/drela/Public/web/avl/ ) to do Vortex Lattice analysis. similar program style to Xfoil, if you are familiar with that. Benjamin Kelm has a good, detailed, 4 part tutorial on youtube

and I was able to figure out how to model my hydrofoil boat and get usable results in a day or 2 despite being pretty clueless starting out.

4. Pablo Sopelana

Thank you very much @Erwan and @zstine ! Pretty much appreciate it!

I didn't know Flow5, but was aware of Benjamin Kelm's videos, although had not had yet the opportunity to watch them.

I am very excited that last Friday, an excellent reinforcement joined the team. Besides being a CFD application engineer, he is also passionate about code development and efficiency optimization through numerical simulation. We are just starting to focus on these methods. We expect to have more insights into them by the end of this month, so we can decide whether we go for them, and if so, how to proceed.

5. Erwan

Erwan Senior Member

Pablo,

Should add a FEA/ structural engineering App to your CFD App, or team-up with, structural engineers

Whether it is for an Hydrofoil or a WingSail, Structural issues can kill any relevant concepts.

Cheers

EK

6. Pablo Sopelana

Thanks Erwan, I take it into account!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.