Weights Information Effort

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by David.Hansch, Mar 26, 2017.

1. David.Hansch

David.Hansch New Member

The Weights Engineering Panel (SD-1) of SNAME's Ship Design Committee is currently working on a T&R Bulletin that is intended to provide parametric weight equations for hull, hull engineering, outfitting and machinery weight groups for as many vessel types as possible (from large ships to tugs and fishing vessels to planing craft). We have collected a credible quantity of equations from over 80 sources. Now we are trying to come up with sufficient data to plot against these equations for validation purposes.

We are reaching out directly to design firms, vessel owners and shipyards for help. But I thought that it would be good to use this forum to reach out to the boat design community as well. I would greatly appreciate any assistance - either in providing equations that you use, suggesting references, or at this point most importantly, providing data that can be used for validation.

I am happy to share the status of our efforts in more detail with anyone who is interested in helping or sharing.

-Davy

2. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Davy

I read your paper back in October last year and sent comments. But as yet received no reply. Curious how far the paper has gone since last year.

3. David.Hansch

David.Hansch New Member

Ad Hoc, the project has come a long way since then. My apologies about the lack of reply, your email got misplaced after I read it. You should have a copy of the latest update draft in your email.

At this point, we are putting further equation collecting other than for planing vessels and yachts on the back burner and focusing on trying to get data to validate the equations we have found thus far. That said, we will certainly include anything someone is willing to provide.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.