Twin hull sternwheeled landing craft

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rfleet1066, Feb 11, 2012.

1. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Ryland; This is not to be a fast boat. So any lttle thing you can do to reduce fuel consumption or perhaps add a tad of speed, then so much the better....right? Your drawing shows a vertical transom simply attached to a tubular hull. If you tuck the aft end of the tube up to the waterline you will remove a little or perhaps a lot of drag. As drawn, and displacing up to eight tons, this boat will have to haul a lot of the river behind it. Never mind that danged near all the pontoon boats are made the way your drawing shows.

2. rfleet1066

rfleet1066 rfleet1066

Thanks for the advice. At this point, the hulls are finished and assembled. That doesn't mean an appendage is impossible if it means greatly enhanced performance. I'm not sure I understand just what you suggest. If you have the time, could you elaborate?

Ryland

3. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

He's talking about something like this...

[​IMG]

where the hull slopes up at the stern. That allows the water to break away from the hull easily, whereas a straight keel and vertical transom create a 'suction' where the water gets confused and eddies around until it gets taken away. It's sort of like dragging a big chunk of water along behind you. Or like dragging a waterbed full of gasoline behind you. Something like that.

4. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Attached Files:

5. rfleet1066

rfleet1066 rfleet1066

In the firearms business we call it a boat-tail. (duh) I can see where a tapered appendage might be useful. At a maximum of 9 knots do you think it would be worth the effort?

Ryland

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.